True Ameraucana?

Lelilamom

Crowing
11 Years
Feb 28, 2013
So I swore up and down I wouldn't buy any birds this year since I have 30 in the coop, but I stopped at TSC so my 3 yr old could see the chicks at "Chick Days" and six "Ameraucana" chicks just happened to follow me home. I won't buy hybrid birds ever again, but I was skeptical these were true Ameraucanas with the stripes and chipmunk markings, but what do I know about this breed? Nothing.

Once I got them home I did a little bit of research and I'm wondering now just what I have in my basement. Anyone want to take a gander? I'm fairly decent at sexing now - so I'm pretty sure I have 3 males, maybe 4 and definitely 2, maybe 3 females. But Breed? I'm thinking I actually have four Silver Ameraucana, One Wheaten and One Black.

Anyone else care to weigh in? They are all three days old.

I'm following this. Just got one too! I'm curious now.

I think you never really know until they grow up and you see what colors they are and eggs they lay. But they sure are cute!

after checking out that link, I am more confused. Maybe it's better to just be surprised how they turn out. They are awfully cute in their feeder.

after checking out that link, I am more confused. Maybe it's better to just be surprised how they turn out. They are awfully cute in their feeder.
I just started a breeding program for Ameraucana's so I know enough to be dangerous but not much more than that. From the picture it looks like the chicks have the markings of Silver Ameraucana's which isn't one of the colors I'm working with. Other chicks such as Light Brown Leghorns have the same markings so I can't say for certain at this stage. I can see the beginnings of the beards and muffs in my chicks though which obviously leghorn chicks don't have.

TSC usually gets their chicks from hatcheries, and hatcheries seldom have pure Ameraucana's but EE's that they advertise as Ameraucana's. If you want pure Ameraucana's I suggest you join the Ameraucana Alliance or Ameraucana Breeders Club and contact one of the breeders near you. You have the best chance of getting chicks from them this time of year.

You have Easter eggers.

In order to get those different colors of Ameraucana, the breeder has to keep separate pens of each color. Hatcheries just don't do that with those colors. You can get the blue spectrum from a few hatcheries, but they cost like $20 per chick if I recall correctly.

A lot of EE grow up to kinda-sorta resemble pure bred birds, but they don't meet the standard, and since you don't know the parentage, you can't count on them breeding true.

Well this is all very interesting. I can't contradict anything anyone is posting because I simply don't have enough knowledge on the subject! I did contact the TSC I purchased the birds from and asked who they obtained them from. They said Townline Hatchery in MI. I called Townline and spoke to them. I explained what I purchased and where and asked if it was possible that their Ameraucanas were indeed Easter Eggers and they were using the names interchangeably. She said without a doubt they were "True Ameraucanas" as that is what they breed and sell. I thanked her and wished her a good day.

I have my doubts but really in the end, it doesn't matter. As long as I end up with a friendly, egg laying bird and a easy going, non-aggressive yet protective rooster, I'm happy. Just call them chickens.

The wifi I'm on has the site blocked, but I purchased Easter Egger chicks that were supplied by Townline and seem to remember that on their site they list them as Easter Eggers, not as Americaunas.

Back
Top Bottom