Sonson

In the Brooder
May 7, 2023
Hello! Long story short, can anyone confirm if it's possible for a Blue Ameraucana to be without a muff or beard?

I was under the impression that they always have a muff and beard and that the Meyer ameraucanas are true ameraucanas; Meyer's website even lists them as having beards and muffs.

I messaged Meyer Hatchery with this picture asking if they maybe sent me the wrong breed, but the response was that maybe it's an Ameraucana with no muff.... so is that possible? I'm just wondering if I'm being unreasonable or not. I've never seen any images or videos of no muff/beard ameraucanas before, and I don't have any previous experience with the breed.

I love my bird, but I can't shake feeling like the wool is being pulled over my eyes. Would feel much better about it if someone with more experience could clarify.

Thanks 🙂

20231216_154045.jpg

It's possible to have an Ameraucana without a beard and muffs, and this one looks to have the correct skin color, white rather than yellow, which is more common in Easter eggers. But she could still be an Easter egger of some type. Pretty much impossible to tell unless she doesn't end up laying blue eggs. There's not much to be done about it if the hatchery thinks it's okay to send a beardless Ameraucana for $23 per chick. I would just shop elsewhere, myself.

I ordered 2 Blue BBS Ameraucanas from Meyers back in 2022. 1 hen and 1 rooster, because I'd love to hatch out some in the future.

These are the best pictures i have of both of them together. They're older pictures. The hen is on the left, rooster on the right. She's not very photogenic. LOL

Both have all slate colored legs with no leakage. Yours seems to have some white on its foot. Also, the feathers on the head seem darker and not in the blue coloring like the rest of her. It's quite possible you might have gotten an Easter Egger. Only time will tell, when she finally starts laying.

Attachments

• 20230108_221424.jpg
    20230108_221424.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230108_221426.jpg
    20230108_221426.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230108_221428.jpg
    20230108_221428.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 28
She's adorable, but I'd keep bugging them for a refund. They didn't send what was listed! I've learned firsthand (and a little too late) that these super hatcheries ship out mongrel versions of chicken breeds. I agree that you probably got some sort of "egger", which can vary in appearance.

Hello! Long story short, can anyone confirm if it's possible for a Blue Ameraucana to be without a muff or beard?

I was under the impression that they always have a muff and beard and that the Meyer ameraucanas are true ameraucanas; Meyer's website even lists them as having beards and muffs.

I messaged Meyer Hatchery with this picture asking if they maybe sent me the wrong breed, but the response was that maybe it's an Ameraucana with no muff.... so is that possible? I'm just wondering if I'm being unreasonable or not. I've never seen any images or videos of no muff/beard ameraucanas before, and I don't have any previous experience with the breed.

I love my bird, but I can't shake feeling like the wool is being pulled over my eyes. Would feel much better about it if someone with more experience could clarify.

Thanks 🙂

View attachment 3707794
To me the lobe color isn't right either.. and from what I recall.. white skin is dominant to yellow.. so skin color is not a good enough indicator.. this bird does NOT meet the standard of perfection.. ALL Ameraucana SHOULD have a beard.. otherwise it's an EE at best.

You did NOT get what you paid for, despite not being claimed as show quality.. that's a DQ.. they need to refund the difference or send new birds.. or whatever their policy is...

I'm no expert.. but I'd also say body type seems off as well.

the feathers on the head seem darker and not in the blue coloring like the rest of her.
Blue varies in shade by individual in my experience.

Yes, it does. Varying shades of blue. Like my hen who has varying shades of light blue to dark blue. Which can vary depending on genetics.

I read that you can get darker blue offspring by mating a Black BBS Ameraucana with a Blue BBS Ameraucana.

The head and neck in the original picture posted, seems to have shades of brown in it, not blue.

Thanks 🙂

View attachment 3707794
Doesn’t look like theirs. Likely an EE IMO

Back
Top Bottom