True Backyard Chickens!

seanengler

Songster
13 Years
May 23, 2010
Central Coast, CA
So I'm new to this website and to chickens in general, but check this out. Here's a video of my yard where the chickens roam all day. Right now they're still feathering out, but love being in the sun. I have two yellow labs that love them and keep an eye out for predators...the coop I built for them is 2 levels, 4 feet wide and 3 feet deep. Yard dimensions...I don't know. But they love it! So here is the video. Enjoy! And I am loving this site and forum!

-Sean, Orange County, CA

They are very sweet!
smile.png
It looked as if the two that were out were in a jungle...lol...and you were a T-Rex or something stalking them
tongue.png
You have a nice set-up there for your little birds, and it looks like you're enjoying them as much as they're enjoying the yard!

I really am, I am blown away at how much personality they have. They follow me around the yard all day and play games with the dogs. They love to run up and flap their wings at the dogs and peck at their paws and what not while the dogs just sort of stare at them confused, knowing full well if they hurt the birds they'll be in deep trouble haha. Thanks for checking it out!

That was really neat do you just have those 2 chickens if so you lawn maybe okay I have 15 and they have really torn up my back yard

Yeah I read lots of things about lawns getting torn up and I figure these two girls can't rip it up quicker than I can throw seed down with topper over it....hopefully lol. After I shot this video today I had the hose on a really wide fog pattern spraying some planters and what not and they came running up to the fog with their wings flapping and fluffed themselves, then ran away, then came back and did it again a few times...cheap entertainment!

What are the laws on poultry down there in the OC? My cousin lives in Mission Viejo and is thinking about chickens after her visit out to my place this weekend. The silkies won her over!

It varies city by city, the city I am in it isn't very clear whether or not they're allowed in the muni code, but the HOA says a maximum of three pets is allowed...well I'm way over that anyway so I figured the chickens were fine lol. Mission Viejo has banned chickens in residential areas though, hate to break it to you.
sad.png

Yeah I'm 20 years old and I still live at home...just got hired as a firefighter so I'm trying to save up for a down payment on a house...I'm realling looking inland of orange county like menifee, murietta, fallbrook etc etc...can't wait to get out of the HOA areas.

Back
Top Bottom