Truly noisy?

Aug 18, 2021
Are peacocks truly a noisy as everyone says?
I've been considering investing in a pair.
They wouldn't free range without supervision, too many predators here, but noise constancy is a concern. I confess i despise my daughter's turkeys until they are about 3 years old. They're fine in mature years. Quiet and affectionate. She keeps roughly 5 as pets, and the hens NEVER stop squawking at airplane decibels and the toms gobble 24/7 until they are over 3 years old.
So much for rural area peace and quiet. I could live in downtown NY and have more quiet. Next to a police station!
I've heard them in zoos and they make a rather piercing but oddly haunting and enjoyable call there.
Any wisdom to share?

If you are concerned about noise then you should probably not get any peafowl. Those of us who love peas love the 'noise' and miss it terribly during the winter.
Turkeys are extremely raucous and unpleasant sounding. The only peacocks I've heard made a very pleasant sound, at least just ambling around the zoo. I think I'll get some after my move. I'll look up YT videos, as well. I always forget that's a resource. Age, i guess .

Turkeys are extremely raucous and unpleasant sounding. The only peacocks I've heard made a very pleasant sound, at least just ambling around the zoo. I think I'll get some after my move. I'll look up YT videos, as well. I always forget that's a resource. Age, i guess .
There is also different sounds that High Spaldings and Greens make that the IB type doesn't make. One of them is kind of trill and exotic sounding. Look at some of these sticky threads, housing is in one of them. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peafowl-sticky-topics-index.389059/

Are peacocks truly a noisy as everyone says?
I've been considering investing in a pair.
They wouldn't free range without supervision, too many predators here, but noise constancy is a concern. I confess i despise my daughter's turkeys until they are about 3 years old. They're fine in mature years. Quiet and affectionate. She keeps roughly 5 as pets, and the hens NEVER stop squawking at airplane decibels and the toms gobble 24/7 until they are over 3 years old.
So much for rural area peace and quiet. I could live in downtown NY and have more quiet. Next to a police station!
I've heard them in zoos and they make a rather piercing but oddly haunting and enjoyable call there.
Any wisdom to share?
yes, they also do not often let themselves be herded indoors if they would rather be outside. They are much better fliers than turkeys and they often prefer sleeping in trees. They are only loud a few months out of the year but it is piercing and throughout the day and night

yes, they also do not often let themselves be herded indoors if they would rather be outside. They are much better fliers than turkeys and they often prefer sleeping in trees. They are only loud a few months out of the year but it is piercing and throughout the day and night
Hmmm. Despite living the the middle of nowhere, that might not be great. Lots coywolves and bears might come investigating.

Back
Top Bottom