Trumpet Vines!

murielmarie

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2023
Michigan
I am thinking of planting a trumpet vine in our garden this year - I am seeing mixed reviews regarding toxicity of it for hens/ducks. Anyone have any experience with it and if so, can they confirm its toxic? My chickens and ducks all free range so I do not want to plant anything that could potentially be dangerous but at the same time, I do think animals are supposed to be pretty knowledgeable on what they can/cannot eat?

Thank you for the help!

Mine don’t eat the trumpet vines but I will warn you. The vines get out of hand! I bought a house with trumpet vines on all the fences. They spread like crazy. I can’t control them. These are quite established and have huge roots and trunks. We’ve cut a lot of them to the ground and they grow back pretty quickly. I personally hate them.

You can check in invasive species before planting things you might regret. For example, I’m in Ohio, and Ohio Dept of Ag has lots of info. https://agri.ohio.gov/divisions/pla...s/invasive-and-noxious-plants/invasive-plants

But, each state will have their own list.

Interestingly, I purchased a plant from a large supplier in the US. Luckily I researched the plant before planting. Turns out many states list it as invasive (warmer states), including some states that border OH. But it’s not considered invasive in Ohio, so supplier was fine to sell it to me. In the end, I did not plant the plant bc where I was going to plant it would have allowed it to turn into an invasive beast, im sure. Probably would have hated it bc of this like @TRALALARA1 hates Trumpet Vines.

Thank you everyone! I heard they are hard to handle but my grandmother who passed away had them in her yard and that’s why I wanted one! I might just have to settle for something else though as I don’t really have time for the upkeep and don’t want to worry about the chickens eating it let alone my dogs 🙄

@murielmarie, where are you located? Here in Michigan, the winter will make a trumpet vine die back. It will regrow in the spring. I don't have any but see some growing on telephone poles on my way into town.

If you live in a warmer location, you could have trouble keeping them from taking over, as some have said.

@murielmarie, where are you located? Here in Michigan, the winter will make a trumpet vine die back. It will regrow in the spring. I don't have any but see some growing on telephone poles on my way into town.

If you live in a warmer location, you could have trouble keeping them from taking over, as some have said.
I am in a michigan as well!

:frow
You can add your location to your profile, and then it's always there. Climate makes a huge difference in advice gardening and having chickens.

Also, we're having a BYC member potluck/picnic in Lansing on June 17th. You're welcome to be there! Here's a link with more information.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/michigan-chickenstock-returns-for-2023.1570343/
Thank you! I just joined the group so I am still learning about the site! Thank you so much!!!

Back
Top Bottom