Trying Midget Whites for first time turkey experience.

Theo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 1, 2010
I thought I would try growing turkeys this year. I wanted to raise some Midget Whites, enough for some to put in the freezer and a trio left over for breeding. I have a small place, 1.5 acres, in the country so I don't have to worry about neighbors or city regulations.

I ordered 12 poults from Ideal for later in spring. Now I think I might reduce that order to 8, thinking that mortality might leave me 6, which would be perfect. I don't think I would be able to manage 12 poults in my mudroom, which is where I have electricity available for the brooder. I don't have friends who want turkeys, otherwise I would give the extras away. [On the other hand, if anyone on the board lives within driving distance of Eugene/Springfield/Corvallis and is interested in buying my extra poults for 1/12 my total expense each, I will consider that. I haven't called Ideal yet to change my order.]

I have these questions for Midget White growers:

How long is the grow out period for this breed? I've heard 10 months, and I've heard a year or longer. I'm not holding out hope for a Thanksgiving bird from the poults I've ordered for May 1. But any chance for Christmas?

If you are picking out a trio for breeding from 6 or 8 birds, what qualities do you look for (besides smallness, obviously, for Midget Whites). At what age do you make the assessment?

For breeding: is it worth it to keep 2 hens and try to find someone with a likely tom? Or just keep three from the original order and not worry about inbreeding? They're not going to college, after all. On the other hand, there is a poultry swap twice annually here in the Valley. Is it worth potentially bringing home a disease along with a new turkey?

I would be interested in hearing your adventures in Midget White poult rearing and breeding. Thanks in advance!

People are so thin skinned I would suggest that you use the term LITTLE rather than MIDGET !!! We all need to be more sensitive and politically correct !!! LOL

People are so thin skinned I would suggest that you use the term LITTLE rather than MIDGET !!! We all need to be more sensitive and politically correct !!! LOL

This variety of turkey is actually called Midget Whites. That is what they are named and what they should be called. So the OP is correct in using that term.

I thought I would try growing turkeys this year. I wanted to raise some Midget Whites, enough for some to put in the freezer and a trio left over for breeding. I have a small place, 1.5 acres, in the country so I don't have to worry about neighbors or city regulations.

I ordered 12 poults from Ideal for later in spring. Now I think I might reduce that order to 8, thinking that mortality might leave me 6, which would be perfect. I don't think I would be able to manage 12 poults in my mudroom, which is where I have electricity available for the brooder. I don't have friends who want turkeys, otherwise I would give the extras away. [On the other hand, if anyone on the board lives within driving distance of Eugene/Springfield/Corvallis and is interested in buying my extra poults for 1/12 my total expense each, I will consider that. I haven't called Ideal yet to change my order.]

I have these questions for Midget White growers:

How long is the grow out period for this breed? I've heard 10 months, and I've heard a year or longer. I'm not holding out hope for a Thanksgiving bird from the poults I've ordered for May 1. But any chance for Christmas?

If you are picking out a trio for breeding from 6 or 8 birds, what qualities do you look for (besides smallness, obviously, for Midget Whites). At what age do you make the assessment?

For breeding: is it worth it to keep 2 hens and try to find someone with a likely tom? Or just keep three from the original order and not worry about inbreeding? They're not going to college, after all. On the other hand, there is a poultry swap twice annually here in the Valley. Is it worth potentially bringing home a disease along with a new turkey?

I would be interested in hearing your adventures in Midget White poult rearing and breeding. Thanks in advance!
There is a good chance that MW poults from Ideal are not closely related. They get their birds in bulk from production farms. It's also likely that their MW aren't true to type since mass production means less attention is given to correct breed standards. Some hatcheries even go so far as to sell beltsville/MW cross as pure MW. So, just pick the birds that are closest to what you want for a MW and see how they mature. You want your toms to be around 14lbs mature live weight and hens around 8lbs.

Back
Top Bottom