Trying to age my new Button Quail

outdoorbunny

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 12, 2012
Culpeper, Virginia
I'm trying to figure out the age of my new buttons. I bought two new button quail from a farm swap and the lady selling them didn't know how old they were. They are young but not little baby chicks. I believe I have one normal red breasted female and a silver blue faced red breasted male. On the male, the pink feathers are just starting to show on his breast and tail area and he has a very faint, half of a white chin line (just on one side of his face).

I was thinking I could age them by when they start to make calling noises. As of right now, the only noise they make is the quiet little chirping.

At what age do they start to make the mating/locator/dark vader calls?

I would like to pair the male...if he is a male...to a beautiful silver tux hen I have. But I don't what to move him in with her until he is old enough.

do they still have chick down around the eyes? this is the last area to feather out at about 5 weeks. the male should start crowing at 6-8 weeks and by 10-12 they are ready to mate, although they will fight before that and at 8-10 weeks you can pair them up just do not expect fertile eggs as of yet. good luck

Back
Top Bottom