Trying to candle Black Croad Langshan eggs

I do the torch type
That can make candling more difficult. I used to use a TP roll on the end of my flashlight to help intensify the light. Most eggs sit nicely at the end of one. A few years ago I bought a hand held candler from Amazon for around 20 dollars. It sure made a difference. You may need a stronger light source. People also build box candlers for use with a lightbulb.

Make sure you are candling the fat end. Hopefully you can at least see some vein development after 7-10 days.

I am at day 11 with a black croad egg which is very difficult to see clearly what is going on inside. I can see a large mass has grown but no obvious movement? I am also dealing with a detatched aircell. Which I have marked by pencil. My question is this . Should the air cell change during incubation?

I have just put in some shop bought blue leghorn eggs into my incubator which were fertilised when I cracked one open ? Day 2 an air cell is appearing so fingers and toes crossed

I successfully managed to candle some really dark brown croad langshan eggs and maran eggs recently. Firstly I used a powerful head torch (could use a normal torch) and a strong led reading lamp.

I got an opaque pot with a plastic lid, cut a hole in the lid so the torch light could shine through directly up. Made a cardboard ring and stuck on top of the hole in the lid, so the egg can sit comfortably on top. wrapped a piece of opaque dark card to make a tube/room on top of the pot. Cut a small window through the card, so you can see. Then turned both lights on (shining from above and bellow - torch from under, led lamp directed onto egg from above), in a dark room. Then can see almost everything through the window! I could tell if they were fertile or not from day 7, just like any other egg, could even see beaks, feet etc in the later dates.

All the card does is protect it from any ambient light in the room, and makes it easier to see the light from the egg. The more lights shone into the egg and the strong the light, the better you will see.

hope this helps

Thanks so much for your interesting suggestion. Sadly I concluded last night the chick had died at about day14. But amazingly the Blue shelled ship bought one is developing happily

I have just put in some shop bought blue leghorn eggs into my incubator which were fertilised when I cracked one open ? Day 2 an air cell is appearing so fingers and toes crossed

Personally I wouldn't crack any open to check fertility endless your selling them and don't want to hatch chicks, as each fertile egg could be a chick. And you will have some non fertile eggs in each batch usually, so save the fertile ones!

That's great that your shipped ones are hatching!!!

Back
Top Bottom