Trying to confirm my babies

Angela0209

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2023
Good morning,
A friend brought me a few quail eggs(eggs varied from dark brown to some having black cow print patterns on white shells🙈🤷🏼‍♀️) I’ve had chickens for a couple years but first time ever for quail… 13 hatched healthy and all look the same.they are almost 3 weeks old. I believe they are coturnix but not sure on variety? And from what I’ve read over I think all girls(fully spotted chest) can anyone help confirm

Attachments

• IMG_4575.jpeg
    IMG_4575.jpeg
    767.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4573.jpeg
    IMG_4573.jpeg
    869.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4571.jpeg
    IMG_4571.jpeg
    884 KB · Views: 15
These are coturnix quail. If you give us good pictures of their chests, we can tell you what gender they are. In the third picture, for example, the one in the middle is a hen.

Edit: You may want to look up their care since this is the first time you've had them. They have different needs than chickens. :)

I agree with @Nabiki , the middle bird in the third picture is a hen. If the rest of them have the same chest markings, then they're all hens. Have you been feeding them a game bird starter? Their protein needs are higher than chickens, especially when young. Most people try to feed at least 28% protein for the first 6 weeks, or so, and then transition to a lower protein, higher calcium diet when they start laying.

Back
Top Bottom