Trying to convince hubby we need a rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MeatKing, May 23, 2010.

1. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

So he says no way, there loud, aggresive and make babies.

I say were in the country, are nighbours have livestalk so noise should not be a problem. Besides that were getting turkerys ren't they loud?

Agrresive, while their in a penned run, so it can't hurt the kids.

Make babies, save us a pile of cash, mabey make some cash..

I need to know some other pros to help my cause, any ideas?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, it's not really a pro, but you could always assure him that if you TRY a rooster and he doesn't work out for any reason, that you'll take responsibility for rehoming it or processing it; it won't be his problem. And set a timeline...like two months maybe. Tell your husband that roosters don't have to mean chicks either, since eating fertilized eggs is no different from eating nonfertilized eggs...

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Roosters get a bad rap- it depends on the breed, my first roo was mean and eventually ended up in the freezer- the roo i have now is a brahma, never aggressive and the girls adore him- looks like highschool girls following a popular guy... so if you want a good experience with a roo, 3 breeds i'd recommend are cochin, favorole or brahma- they are docile breeds and will protect your girls. As far as fertile eggs, just because they are fertile doesn't mean much- depends on your outlook, they are eatable, or you could sell them as hatching eggs...[​IMG]

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Get a cochin roo. The one we have was my husband's idea!! He fell in love with one, found one on CL and got him.

You will learn to sleep through a rooster crowing. Because DH is so outnumbered by women (me and DD, the hens, the dog is female and the horse is a mare) he actually likes having another male around. He named him and enjoys just hanging out by the fence talking to "his" rooster. Remind him that the rooster is a typical man: protective of his women, likes to strut and also helps to keep all the cackling biddies in line.

They are also a lot prettier than hens and if you get a good-lookin' rooster, visitors will be far more interested in him than bland, non-descript look-alike hens. Makes for good conversation.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My advice is to go and buy a roo if you want one...
    You shouldnt have to make up all these reasons for your husband.. you're an adult. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  6. gwill23

gwill23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    I loved having a roo for the time I had him. He was a RIR and he was very good with the girls and stayed away from the kids. I was worried about it being mean since we have little ones around all the time. I mainly got him for the protection and to keep the girls together. This worked well. I came home one day to all my chickens and no roo [​IMG] but at least it worked. They free range all day.

My kids all wanted babbies too. Although that is when I realized I might have made a mistake. So I explained what would happen when the roo jumped the girls so they wouldn't think he was hurting them.....We'll the next thing I know every time he got near one of the hens they would start cheering "get on her! get on her!" After a short talk on apropreate talk about such things....It is all good now.

And now have some very cute baby chicks and this kids are excited about it....Well, I am too :0 I couldn't work for two days knowing they were due to hatch.

Anyway if I had someone who would give me a new roo I would take it. I haven't found any so I 'll have to keep a few from this batch of chicks I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by