nancypo

Crowing
13 Years
14 Years
Mar 26, 2010
Boise
My Coop
My Coop
I'm getting 2 pullet chicks tomorrow. Comparing breeds takes me forever, so can I have some input please? I already have one RIR, great hen. I wanted 2 different breeds for eggs production only, no meat or chicks. It's very hot and very cold here (Boise) and we have a backyard coop. They're in the coop during the day school year. then free range in the back (see my chicken page if you're interested). So I want a gentle, quiet, friendly hen, with good egg production. I briefly had a Barred Rock, pretty big, noisy. I like more the medium sized hen, like my RIR. Any ideas?

Is a Wyandotte considered "large", by the way? I really don't want bantam either, as they don't seem to have good egg production. No white chickens either. These are common breeds my local hatchery has-

Brown Leghorns
Black Australorps (too big?)
Buff Orpingtons
Red/Black Sex Link (had those before, great birds)

I have a gold laced wyandotte. I really like her a lot. She;s a pretty good layer and very friendly. Im not familiar with the others you listed.
smile.png

Thanks! I think I'm going to go for the B.O. and a Wyandotte. The.B.O.'s are so fluffy looking!

Well, with what they had in stock I got a Buff orpington "Buffy" and a Barred Rock, still working on a name. cute!

I beleive you have a roo there as the BR. The head coloring is sort of splashed and large. Hope your other is a pullet. Beautiful little fuzzy,poopy butts.
gig.gif
gloria Jean

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom