Trying to decide what route to take with my future flock...

MoonAngel12

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Central NC
I have a 5-10 year dream of turning our 2 (maybe more by then) acres into at least a homestead, maybe a small working farm. Right now I have young children under foot so it's not as feasible since DH works quite a bit and I just can't get out to do what I need to do. I started with chickens 3 years ago, and am getting a decent garden plot going (darn red clay!), and planted a smaller, but very diverse dwarf orchard this past fall. I want to do more though. I know I want to incorporate raising our own meat - not sure if I am going to start with chickens or rabbits. I got behind another chicken truck last week (we are surrounded by factory chicken houses - blech!) and refuse to buy another from a big box store so I am paying $$$ for organic chicken from the small market down the road. Thankfully I at least know our beef came from out back (DH's grandparents).

Now for the chickens. We are getting ready to build a bigger coop so I can expand my flock, just not sure which route to take. Do I focus mainly on laying? Have 99% hens with a rooster or two and hope they are able to raise up their own mutt chicks? I haven't heard of that being a huge issue. That would solve the meat dilemma too b/c obviously I will have extra cockerels that won't be able to stay around.

Or do I look into heritage breeding? I want to make a big enough coop so I can section it off if needed (broody hen/chicks, integrating younger birds from an outside source, etc.) so I think space wise it would be feasible. I'm reading through a couple of the breed specific threads and learning more about details and specifics and it sounds fascinating and possibly a neat venture, but definitely a long term thing. Again, the meat would be taken care of via culled birds... or I could sell them cheap to someone who maybe isn't as picky about breed specifics (like my BLRW - they were a gift from a friend who gets them cheap from a breeder - I'm guessing that's why?).

I know it's not a permanent decision no matter what I choose, but I just want to start weighing the pros and cons of each option so any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Raising mutt birds will eventually lead to birds with decreased breed characteristics, including laying and meat potential. Some dual-purpose birds are better than others for laying and meat quality. You might find the Henderson chicken chart helpful.

My own favorite dual-purpose birds are Delawares, the boys make great free-range meaties and the hens lay lots of big brown eggs. They also have nice temperaments. The best ones I have found so far came from Sandhill Preservation, some others were not of the same quality either temperement or production wise.

i think that you are on the right track but 5 acres might be better for everything that you want to do. as far as the chickens, there are hundreds of answers. i like heritage dual purpose brown egg layers.

Go with DP heritage breeds, try a couple of them out and gain personal experience with them. So when you get more land you can expand with what you found you liked. If you try to get them from breeders you have a better chance of getting hens that go broody.

frow.gif
Most of my flock are heritage breed, dp birds. I love them. We're heading in the same direction you are, it sounds like...small orchard, a couple mini cows and small flock...

I have French Marans, Salmon Faverolles and a couple Ameracaunas. My FM girls were broody this year, first timers and did a wonderful job hatching and raising 7 chicks.... I prefer broodies over a 'bator, let mamma do the job! Mine are winter layers - no additional light needed (except the Ameracaunas), I like that....

The "Henderson Chicken Chart" is a good tool, google it...

One thing I'll say about "mutt" animals - they have a hybrid vigor that purebred animals often don't, because of their smaller gene pool. The hybrid vigor can give animals additional resistance to disease, better fertility - longer, faster growth and gains....it's all an individual thing...choose 2-4 breeds with characteristics you like best and create a composite bird that fits your needs... I would recommend you start with breeder stock, rather than hatchery birds.

Best of luck to you!
thumbsup.gif

I agree with the above poster, it does not have to be an all or nothing deal. Get some real good egg layers, some dual purpose breeds, some meaties and few of a breed that tends to go broody. It can easily help, if you have different colored eggs as then it is easy to be pretty sure what you will be hatching out. You can eat the eggs you don't want to hatch.

I would be quite interested in others ideas as to specific breeds. I have been having a hoby flock for years, and am flirting with the idea of getting a higher quality flock, other than barnyard mutts, and hatchery chicks. hmmmmm

will keep an eye on this thread.

Mrs K - I started last year with 2 trios bought from a handful of area breeders. One Ameracauna and one French Marans. At the time I thought I was buying quality stock - but when I picked up the birds, I found out the FM hens were culls. It kinda irked me a bit, she didn't mention that on the phone and I drove a long way to pick them up....However, they've done well for me.

Now, after a few months of owning chickens I discovered I really don't like the personality of the Ameracauna (not for a mixed flock), but I do like the FMs and lately, I love my new Salmon Faverolles. I think I may get serious about developing a small flock of them. I'm thinking about a 'bator, so I can order eggs from cross country....

MoonAngel12, if you get several different breeds, you can always have a separate breeding pen - so if you wanted breed specific eggs or a specific cross, you have the means to accomplish it. I have 2 small pens next to the main coop and run, so I can have a bachelor pen, breeding pen or broody pen, if I need them....

@ N8vietxn - I was wondering about that very issue. And I have done some lurking on the eggs and chicks for sale, but they are all soooooo far away.

I have been looking at those light bramahs. And one could cross with a buffington, which would make a pretty cross that is sex linked. I will do some investigation on the favorelles, and the french marans. How many head do you have, and how many roosters?

I looked at greenfire, selling day old chicks for about $20 per head. I could afford a couple of those to get started with, but how to transport this great distance, Good Grief, SD is in the middle of nowhere? I just started looking at the breeds and genetic's page.

I have been thinking of posting some questions on eggs being transported.

Such a fun hoby

Right now, though better go lock up the girls I have.

MrsK

Last edited:
@ N8vietxn - I was wondering about that very issue. And I have done some lurking on the eggs and chicks for sale, but they are all soooooo far away.

I looked at greenfire, selling day old chicks for about $20 per head. I could afford a couple of those to get started with, but how to transport this great distance, Good Grief, SD is in the middle of nowhere? I just started looking at the breeds and genetic's page.

I have been thinking of posting some questions on eggs being transported.

Such a fun hobby
You're telling me! I live in the far NW corner of the universe - getting anything up here is a gamble!.....GF wants $20 a head for day olds?! Wow, I'm in the wrong business! - I think they could probably get them to you safely though, they ship a lot of chicks.....it may be too hot right now, not sure what the temps are there.... You should ask about the eggs, I have questions too!

Ya know, before I owned chickens, I had no idea how big a deal this is :) Eggs - being shipped all over the U.S.! - who'd a thunk it?

I have been looking at those light bramahs. And one could cross with a buffington, which would make a pretty cross that is sex linked. I will do some investigation on the favorelles, and the french marans. How many head do you have, and how many roosters?
I have 9 hens, 8 pullets, a few chicks (can't sex yet) and only one FM roo, he's a great boy.... I just put my Ameracauna roo and a SF roo in the freezer, but I have replacement boys for the SF. I have 27 total birds, but I think my Buff Orp hen is going next, I'm sure she has egg drop syndrome or something like that, plus, she eats her eggs and I don't want anybody else trying it....

I have been looking at so many different breeds.

One dual purpose breed is a light sussex. Nice heavier bird, that is a pretty good layer. I posted light brahma above , but it is the sussex that I like.

Currently I have just hatchery chickens or crossbred mutts. Two years ago, I had a broody hen, and a lady I did not know, I met in the city and she gave me a dozen mixed eggs. I have a EE hen and roo out of that. Captain, the roo, is a pretty darn good rooster. He is 2 years old, and since he turned 14 months, I have not lost a hen do to day time predators. He has never acted aggressive toward me or anyone else. And last week, I had a 3 week old chick stuck, and squeaking, and he came right over for protection.

I have the 2 year old EE, 3 black Australops, and 3 black and white, something else. I think the BA's are layers, and the other three are sandbaggers. I really don't like them, and am thinking soup pot this fall. I also have 12 chicks, two BA/EE crosses, and then 4 BO, 2 black sex linked, 4 red sex linked hatchery chicks that a broody BA is raising.

I did check out a different kind of hatchery, in Iowa. That is working with breed diversity, and preservation. It was stressed, that these are not perfect show birds, but true to breed birds, and would be a good beginning for a home breeding project, but that one would have to cull heavily at first. It was not an order now, get now place, but rather, you order, send your money, and get on a list. Had good recommendations.

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/chickens.html

MrsK

Back
Top Bottom