Trying to decide what to do?? Opinions please

jack & mommy's duckies

Songster
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
So here are the thoughts in my head. Before I decide what to do I'd like to hear peoples thoughts and opions.

Ok...
In the Jan/Feb of 2010 I decided I wanted to get involved with ducks and geese. I did my research, look for ducky people (who are very well hidden around here) and picked the breeds based on what I read online. In March/April of 2010 I got 4 Cayuga ducklings, and in May 4 African goslings....as the year went on I got a call duck that no one wanted...two trios of aussie spots (that I'm pretty sure are crossed with white calls) these came from a lady that was in college and needed to thin down her flock, and a few funny ducks (again not wanted) I think they are rouen pekin cross, and a few muscovies.

Everyone is doing well, growing, happy, a joy to be with......I just adore them. And wouldn't give up my hobby for anything.

In Dec of 2010 I placed an order with Metzer Farms and I've ordered some Sebbie geese...and a few ducks that I want to try.

So here are my big decisions.......

Do I pick a breed or two of each ducks and geese.....and work hard to find blood lines and sell babies (I do have a huge sportsman incubator). Keep in mind I live in Ontario Canada and for some reason ducky connections are hard to find...and when I do find them their blood lines came from the same lines as my stock I already have.

Or
Do I toss in the towel on trying to breed for perfection and just enjoy my birds and get what ever breeds I want or have access to. I find that alot of people (not everyone) sells things that are mutts and don't tell you...or try and pass off crap.

I love my birds.......treat each and everyone with the upmost love and respect and try every day to make them happy.

Opinions please....Thanks

I looked into, researched and everything ducks before I got mine. I wanted to get from Holderreads but they were done for the season so I got mine from Metzers. All are healthy and I love my Hatchery ducks. Then I decided to get some Pekins i now have 6, I bought them all from the Jockey Lot, so no idea of their backgrounds. My 2 drakes I got from Iamcuriositycat and she got them from Holderreads. There is a big difference in the Runners. Finn is tall and slim...my Metzer babies are as someone said earlier...short and fat and when you look at them next to Finn...they are, but I love them all the same. I just wanted ducks to have in my yard, but now I know more about them I would really love to go to a few shows so I put my Wish List in with Holderreads...sent it yesterday. I want to look inot showing but have no idea about it, but wanted to have some better birds instead of my fat penguins of runners. I also got an incubator for Christmas so will hatch ourt Pekins and Runners then next year I can hatch out some nicer runners. I have my birds..well all my animals coz I am an animals person, I dont have kids...of the 2 legged human kind, none of my animals are perfect but they are there for me to look at, imperfections an all. So back to what you ask....Do what ever you want to do, If they dont look perfect you will love them all the same as the perfect ones. We all have to start somewhere with what ever we can get or afford at the time.

My suggestion would be to look at what the market for ducks is like in your region. If people just want back yard quality- then you may have trouble selling higher Show quality ducks. If there is a market for pure bred show quality ducks and geese then get the best you can and get that incubator going. I have my Breeders- and my pets. They are all special for their own reasons even thought its the breeders who bring me the money to pay for all their feed and bedding..they all benefit. At the end of the day- they all have feathers, webbed feet and quack,

As you can see by my sig that I have several ducks. I hatched calls this summer, I did not care who bred with who (colorwise). I sold most of the babies and gave a few away. It was fun, the demand was good but my heart was not in it. Hatching, to me, was too stressful. Lost a few which just kills me. I am way too particular on who gets them, screened everyone on their intentions, informed them on the issues of releasing ducks onto public ponds, etc. I even bought a good incubator. I will not do it again. I love my birds and I just want to focus on taking care of them and enjoying them as is.
I love to adopt injured, abandoned or just plain misfits. 2 of my geese came from a rescue and I love them dearly, 1 call with one eye, call with deformed bill. This is where my heart is. No one can tell you what your heart most desires. Follow your heart. Good luck!

You might find that if you go for the best quality then the best quality of customers will emerge from the woodwork, especially since you are isolated on sources for ducks. Bad ducks cost as much to feed as good ducks, so to my way of thinking, I would go for the best quality. You can always sell good stuff for less but trying to sell terrible stuff for more doesn't work well in the end. If you've any kind of mind for or venues to show at, then those better ducks can add fun to your journey.

Thank you everyone for your opinions.........I love to read others thoughts. When I make major decisions I always try and see a few side and hear a few thoughts first. Helps me possible see something I am missing or helps to confirm what I was thinking.

If there are more thoughts I'd love to hear them.

But i think I have decided.
I think I'm going to get a pair or a trio of everything I can get my hands on. And since I spend so much time with my birds I can learn more about them and in a few years pick two or 3 breeds of ducks I like and I already know what I want for geese and i'm working towards perfection on them. In the spring time I'm going to pen up the individual breeds for a few weeks so that way I can let them breed true and I can sell true birds. And as I find breeds that I really don't like (if that will every happen) I can always sell them at a good show rather then dragging them to any live stock auction going on.

I've got the room for atleast 100 ducks. I will have to build a pen or two and a house or two but that is just minor details.

So keep your stay tuned as I post pictures of the babies I get and watch them grow with me.

***and if there is anyone anywhere in Canada that has any kind of duck that is willing to ship eggs. I'd love to hear from you so we can set something up and help me on my way to my goal

Thanks
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom