Trying to determine who started it (rooster fight)

Nicky S

Songster
May 30, 2021
Southern CT
So our harmonious father-son duo suddenly got into it this morning. Son is 7 months old so I guess hormones are raging. After his vet visit I tried reintroducing him…I did it outside free ranging and observed as I had no idea what happened this morning, but son was covered in blood and dad wedged under a shelf (literally stuck). Dad did what looked like the courting dance to son, and then son started sparring, and then they were at it jumping legs out. I think intervening was the scariest thing I’ve ever done 😂. My question is, was the wing dance aggressive or welcoming? Also I’m guessing I cannot hope to have them back together again - until now they’ve slept together every night 😢

It was aggressive - not welcoming. If you want to keep the older rooster, it will be necessary to separate them. The cockerel wants control of the flock, and it sounds as if he has already beaten his father.
Oh, that’s a shame. He’s always done that, I guess he was just putting his son in his place, and today his son decided no more.

Back
Top Bottom