Trying to encourage eggs...

DianeS

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Oregon
So I did it. I put light in the coop. And I started feeding cayenne pepper. GAH! Never thought I'd do either. I thought I could be patient. So much for that!

But I have three Production Reds that are 28 weeks old that haven't laid yet. They have dark red combs, dark red faces, they squat when I come near... but its been that way for a month. My Red Sexlink that's a year and a half old stopped laying a few weeks ago. I wanted Rhode Island Reds for their winter laying abilities, and these are supposed to be just as good. But I can't afford to feed non-layers all winter. I need those eggs.

So, any other tips to get them to decide to lay? Any old wives' tales? Rumors? Something weird that's worked for you?
roll.png

It's a rather dim light, so I added it all at once. It gets dark here at 4:30 now, I figured I'd let the light on in the evenings until about 8:00. Would you recommend doing it differently?

They already get extra protein because I think one of the young ones had a partial molt that's now growing back in. The four of them get a can of tunafish to share every couple days.

It's not necessarily the length of the day, but increasing day lengths that stimulates them to lay. Adding 15 to 30 minutes a week until they are laying or you get to the desired day length usually does the trick. It's possible to push the light too fast and have them respond poorly to it.

I wouldn't start over as decreasing the day length now will set them back, but you still have some room to add some additional day length over the next few weeks if you wish.

Quote:
Old wives' tale, supposedly it makes some chickens lay. I can't imagine why it would be true, but at this point if someone told me they'd lay faster if I stood on my left leg while feeding them, I'd try THAT!

Quote:
Old wives' tale, supposedly it makes some chickens lay. I can't imagine why it would be true, but at this point if someone told me they'd lay faster if I stood on my left leg while feeding them, I'd try THAT!

yuckyuck.gif

I've heard the left leg thing works.

Imp- And we need pix of that.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom