Trying to figure out black breeds from Ideal Poultry pullet mix

SEMulder

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 7, 2013
Hi, I bought 8 pullets from a lady who'd bought a mixed set of day old chicks. We picked out all black varieties. 4-5 of them seem to be Barred Rock (or maybe the Production Blacks?). But there are 2 for sure that are not, so I was wondering if someone might have a better idea? They are around 3-4 weeks old, so is this a bit young to be able to decipher?

Here is one:

From the top, chick on the right:

Here is the other mystery chick (she does not seem to have the brown on the shoulders):

Am I right that these others look like Barred Rock?

More of the possible Barred Rock (I also have two Welsummers and three Americaunas (or Easter Eggers) from a different source.)

This one looks more spotted than the others. Is this still a Barred Rock looking chick?

Thank you so much for any help!!

Emily

Last edited:
Unsure of this one

From the top, chick on the right: Unsure

Here is the other mystery chick (she does not seem to have the brown on the shoulders): Possibly Australorp

Am I right that these others look like Barred Rock? Yes, Barred Rock

More of the possible Barred Rock (I also have two Welsummers and three Americaunas (or Easter Eggers) from a different source.) They are Easter Eggers. And yes, Barred Rocks

This one looks more spotted than the others. Is this still a Barred Rock looking chick? Unsure

I am far from an expert with ID'ing chicks, but those are my best guesses.

What a cute Motley Crew!

Last edited:
From Ideal for barred/cuckoo chicks I think they have Rocks, Hollands and Marans (any have white legs?) for single combs which yours all look to have? so no Dominiques. For black chicks you have black sex links - these will usually have brown/red on them so maybe the first one? Agree the other looks like a BA.

Thank you! I don't believe any have white legs. The first two pictures are of the same chick. I know this sounds ignorant, but where is the comb on such little ones? Is it right above the beak?

Back
Top Bottom