Trying to figure out breed and Gender

lizziebeth66

In the Brooder
May 25, 2015

I am brand new to backyard chickens. We had chickens when I was a little girl, so I have always wanted some. These were given to me by a friend of my mother in law. I am not sure of what kind they are and what gender. I was actually wanting them for laying hens. I have had them for about 3-4weeks and was told they were about 4-5 weeks when I got them. Any help on what they might be or the gender would be greatly appreciated.

They all look like Cornish cross pullets to me. Unfortunately, Cornish crosses are primarily short-lived meat birds, so they won't be good choices for egg layers.

They look like Cornish crosses to me as well. This cross of bird is breed for meat. They will live about 8 to 12 weeks depending on size and then pass away from broken bones or heart attacks. Unfortunately you will not get any eggs from these birds.

Agree they're Cornish cross meat birds, which is unfortunate for you. If you're up for it, process them soon for some wonderful chicken dinners, or sell them to someone who will. Then buy yourself some nice dual purpose laying pullets and try again.

Thanks for the help. That's kind of what I was afraid of, that they were cornish cross. I have looked at the different breeds listed on this website, and that's what I thought. Just out of curiosity does anyone know if the second picture is a hen.
Also on a different note what breed would you recommend for the best laying hens?

Agree they're Cornish cross meat birds, which is unfortunate for you. If you're up for it, process them soon for some wonderful chicken dinners, or sell them to someone who will. Then buy yourself some nice dual purpose laying pullets and try again.
x2

Back
Top Bottom