Trying to figure out of hen is egg bound or digestive tract issue

How is she today? @APK can you post pictures of the blobs she passed. Did it look like egg? If it was I would start her on fish mox asap. TSC has it and ships fast.

I haven't had a hen with crop problems, just a blockage of straw

Hi Everybody,

@SmiYa0126
@Miss Lydia

The chicken is now fine. Here is what happened:

1) I mistakenly diagnosed her as egg bound because she was flexing her vent, lethargic, and not eating. So I thought she is trying to pass an egg. But when I checked in the vent, there was no egg that I could feel.

2) When I felt her crop it was full of water like a balloon

3) I gave her calcium in the water. I didn't feel comfortable feeding her the pill directly as I have drowned a bird before and she was drinking water.

4) Day 1, I let her out for a walk and she ate a lot of grass but wouldn't eat food. The next morning she still has grass in her crop, it hasn't cleared.

5) Then gave her yoghurt, apple cider vinegar, minced garlic, and dribbled a tablespoon of vegetable oil into her mouth which she swallowed. Then I massaged the crop a bit.

6) By evening day 2, I felt the crop had started to empty. She ate a bit of the yoghurt and garlic and gave her the apple cider vinegar.

7) Day 3, I gave her oatmeal mash which she ate. She had a lot of diaharrea. It was watery with bits of green. Unfortunately I didn't take pics.

8) Day 3, evening she had eaten 2 bowls of oat meal, finished her apple cider, and was eating the garlic too.

9) Day 4, she ate more oatmeal but wouldn't eat her regular feed. I gave her more apple cider vinegar and left her to run around

10) Day 4, EOD, she started eating her regular food.

She's fine now. Thank you all for your good information.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom