Trying to figure out of hen is egg bound or digestive tract issue

APK

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2022
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I went to feed my chickens and one hen didn't come out. She was in her coop and sitting there as if she wants to lay. I came and checked on her an hour later and she's still there. In the morning when all the chickens came out, she came out with them, but she is a bit lethargic. She doesn't eat food but goes to the water bowl and has a drink.

I saw her later she had walked off and is standing by herself as if she is unwell. I am thinking maybe she is egg bound. I gave her a warm bath. Then I felt in her vent with a latex glove and I couldn't feel an egg, but I can't be sure that I felt far enough. I did put a bit of mineral oil in there anyways. Then I dried her off and put her in a tub with food and water.

She immediately drank a good amount of water. Right now is alternating between standing there and sort of sleeping, and she wakes up after a bit and drinks water sometimes. She is flexing her vent and has pooped a bit.

One thing I did notice is when I picked her up, the under belly is hard-ish, and I heard something like a wheezing sound like gas escaping when I'm massaging her underbelly. So maybe she has gas or maybe she is egg bound. I'm having trouble diagnosing it.

Link is below of short video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hz9omA_ekwzY1P1RjTL2VlKrRVxHp04C/view?usp=share_link

Hi! Can you give her calcium citrate? It will help if she's egg bound. How's her crop feel?
@SmiYa0126

I have now mashed up a calcium magnesium and zinc tablet and put it in the water. I didn't have just pure calcium.

Her crop feels full of water.

@SmiYa0126

I have now mashed up a calcium magnesium and zinc tablet and put it in the water. I didn't have just pure calcium.

Her crop feels full of water.
@APK You don't need to mash it up, just tuck it into her beak. If shes trying to drink she may have a blockage. Do you have nutri drench?

I had a hen with a straw blockage, I used nutri drench and watermelon to flush her out. It took a month but she made a full recovery. . One day give nutri drench next day give watermelon. I also force fed her a little bit because she lost a lot of weight. Once her appetite returned I put her back with everyone. She had a friend with her... recovering from a hawk attack.

Hi everyone,

I just saw your messages now, so I'm reviewing your advise.

Update. She seems to be flushing something out of her system. I can't tell if this poop or yolky discharge from the vent. It is sort of greenish yellow. It might be one of the soft eggs that isn't fully formed has broke inside. Or it could be from the digestive system, it's hard to tell.

She drank a lot of water with calcium supplement. I don't think her crop is blocked up because there isn't any hard ball, it's just like a water balloon.

However her condition has improved. I put her out to let her go for a stroll and she immediately discharged a yellow blob. Right now appears to be pecking small amounts of grass or grit out of the ground and walking around.

This morning she appeared to be much worse and was standing in one place. Will keep her on the fluid regimen and advise you of the results.

Hi everyone,

@SmiYa0126
@Eggcessive
@SmiYa0126

I am reading that it might be sour crop. As she has a lot of water in the crop and it feels like a balloon, but not impacted crop as it's not hard.

Is Calcium still a good option if it is sour crop ?

Some are saying a bit of apple cider vinegar.

She is eating bits of grass but not food.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom