*Urgent! Egg Bound! Please help!!!*

It also comes out with like a yellow snot kind of material than bleeds a bit - kind of like a pinkish color and some clots come out to when you stretch her vent or when she pushes really hard.
If it yellow she could have an infection. Kinda sounds like she might have a prolapse to though.

Can you give her some calcium to help with contractions to expel the egg(s)? Calcium citrate + D (the human supplement kind) would be the best, but Tums antacid will help too.

Gently pull down on her wattles and she'll open her beak. Put the whole calcium pill in; break a Tums into pieces.

My 4 year old Sapphire Splash hen, Koala, had been egg bound for about a week. I thought it was water belly, but my mom felt her belly and could feel at least 3 SUPER big, about XL duck egg size eggs. I can't get them out!
We put her in the bath tub and put coconut butter on her vent. It seems like her vent will not open. When sticking a finger in, blood comes out with like clots. Looks similar to... ladies... Anyway I'm really not sure what to do - have had an egg bound hen before but got the two eggs out she had.
Please help!

What is puzzling me is the clotty blood?

It also comes out with like a yellow snot kind of material than bleeds a bit - kind of like a pinkish color and some clots come out to when you stretch her vent or when she pushes really hard.

Is Vet Care An Option?

Please get some photos!

The vent, her poop, her, the blood, the yellow material....photos please.

You are feeling eggs in the "belly". Where? Is this below the vent between her legs?

If the "eggs" you are feeling are in the abdomen, you will not be able to get them out.

Stop trying to stretch the vent and poking around there, you can rip the cloaca. The intestines and the oviduct meet at the vent.

Blood is concerning.

I would suspect she's got Salpingitis. Have you ever noticed any odd egg or pus like eggs from this hen?

If anything the soaking may help relieve some stress if she's agreeable to being soaked. You can give her 1 Calcium Citrate With D3 once daily for 3-5 days.

Is her crop emptying?

Please take some time to look at the image below. Look up some more images a poultry anatomy.

The reproductive system (Ovary/Oviduct/Uterus - Shell Gland) sits basically along the spine of the hen.
The Digestive system basically lays along the "belly". Note there's a Gizzard. A lot of times the Gizzard can be felt, and it might feel like an egg.

The large intestine and the Uterus (reproductive system) BOTH meet at the Vent (Cloaca).
IF one were to want to feel inside the Vent, you would not stretch it, you would glove up and use a bit of vaseline, coconut oil or lubricant and insert a small finger in the vent about 1-2" - not very far!!!
If she's pooping, then she's not got an egg stuck low enough for her to be bound.

Eggs can and sometimes DO end up in the abdomen through Reverse Peristalsis, this is called Internal Laying. You can't remove this material without surgery from an Avian Vet and often a hen will not survive through surgery.
You may also find material/pus/exudes that may feel like lumps in the abdomen, this can be from EYP, Salpingitis and/or a combination of reproductive problems.

1710820691599.jpeg

Is Vet Care An Option?

Please get some photos!

The vent, her poop, her, the blood, the yellow material....photos please.

You are feeling eggs in the "belly". Where? Is this below the vent between her legs?

If the "eggs" you are feeling are in the abdomen, you will not be able to get them out.

Stop trying to stretch the vent and poking around there, you can rip the cloaca. The intestines and the oviduct meet at the vent.

Blood is concerning.

I would suspect she's got Salpingitis. Have you ever noticed any odd egg or pus like eggs from this hen?

If anything the soaking may help relieve some stress if she's agreeable to being soaked. You can give her 1 Calcium Citrate With D3 once daily for 3-5 days.

Is her crop emptying?

Please take some time to look at the image below. Look up some more images a poultry anatomy.

The reproductive system (Ovary/Oviduct/Uterus - Shell Gland) sits basically along the spine of the hen.
The Digestive system basically lays along the "belly". Note there's a Gizzard. A lot of times the Gizzard can be felt, and it might feel like an egg.

The large intestine and the Uterus (reproductive system) BOTH meet at the Vent (Cloaca).
IF one were to want to feel inside the Vent, you would not stretch it, you would glove up and use a bit of vaseline, coconut oil or lubricant and insert a small finger in the vent about 1-2" - not very far!!!
If she's pooping, then she's not got an egg stuck low enough for her to be bound.

Eggs can and sometimes DO end up in the abdomen through Reverse Peristalsis, this is called Internal Laying. You can't remove this material without surgery from an Avian Vet and often a hen will not survive through surgery.
You may also find material/pus/exudes that may feel like lumps in the abdomen, this can be from EYP, Salpingitis and/or a combination of reproductive problems.

View attachment 3775950
Vet care is not an option.
I am feeling 3 super big eggs between her legs and her vent.
No odd eggs ever from Koala.
She isn't eating much but yes it is emptying.
I am doing the Vaseline - also she can't poop - when I put her in the tub and opened her vent, she pooped A LOT.

Back
Top Bottom