Trying to figure out the hatch date.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sharona, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Sharona

Sharona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2007
    Illinois
    I received the eggs in the mail on Monday, July 9; let them rest 24 hours and placed them in the bator on Tuesday, July 10 so day 1 would be Wednesday, July 11th - correct?

It's getting close to time to take them out of the turner (button quail eggs) so I'm starting to second guess myself.

Sorry I searched for this answer because I know it's on this site somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Thanks!

2. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I think I read on here if you put them in the bator in the morning than that day is called day 1 but if it's at night it would be the next day.

jackie

3. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    From what I've read, the day you put the eggs in the incubator is day 0. So, if you put your eggs in today at 9am, tomorrow at 9am would be day 1.

Can we get a consensus either way? I'm pretty sure the the way I'm thinking is correct, but if I'm wrong, I want to know and I don't want to be giving out bad information. [​IMG]

4. chrissieg

chrissieg Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes! Setting day is '0' [​IMG]

5. Sharona

Sharona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks! that's how I had originally counted but I just started questioning myself.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've heard it done both ways. The first hatch I ever did, I set before noon, so counted that as Day One. They still pipped and started to hatch a day early. The next one, I counted the next day as Day One and a couple pipped on what I would have called Day 18. Either way, they hatch when they are good and ready, give or take a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by