trying to figure out why my chick died

baileyf

Chirping
Mar 31, 2021
Around 6 week chick died in the coop and I have no idea why. Was rock solid when I went in this AM. The other chick with it is fine (different type). It is outdoors but they have a coop heater so it should have been warm enough. Any suggestions? Is there a possibility the other bird is sick and shouldn't be put with different chickens? Not sure what to look for.

Attachments

• F04498F8-9A7B-42FD-B927-86FD426C3DD7.jpeg
    F04498F8-9A7B-42FD-B927-86FD426C3DD7.jpeg
    576.8 KB · Views: 9
I'm sorry you had to discover a dead chick. I know that awful feeling.

But you need to tell us more. How old was the chick? Is there just one other chick, now a single?

What type of brooder heat? How warm does it get under it?

What are they eating? Do they have chick grit?

Any chance the chick could have been exposed to insecticide?

Heat should no longer be an issue at six weeks. Chicks shouldn't need any at all as long as your aren't at the South Pole.

Check the chick's crop. Most often, at this age, it's a crop issue or constipation that kills.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Chick grit is usually crushed granite. Chicks and Chickens eat a few pieces and the grit is used in the gizzard to process foods/material that they bird consumes.

How is the other chick doing? Photos of her and her poop?
so the other chick seems okay but her poop does look hard. I have her separated until I find out if it's okay to put her with the others.
image.jpg

what am I looking for on the crop
Can you take photos without the red light?

Does the radiant heater emit red light or are you using a red heat lamp as well?
Photo of the whole brooder/housing may prove helpful.

Dry poop, the chick may be getting constipated. Watch to see that she's staying hydrated. If you need to, give her 1/2-1 teaspoon of coconut oil chunks for a couple of days.

What you are looking for on the crop - you want it to be emptying overnight. When she goes to sleep at night, the crop should feel full. It should feel empty in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.

Back
Top Bottom