Trying to figure this out.

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
Hello all,

I'm trying to understand this. I have a powerfields electrified poultry fence as part of my run. I consistently test it with a fence tester and it claims it's pushing out at the minimum 5k volts every second with my power wizard solar charger(tester maxed out at 5k so it could be pushing more). That's a good thing I'm not complaining one but about that.

What confuses me is I can put my finger on a line and I barely get a zap...almost like a static charge zap. But my 90 pound mixed breed dog touched her nose to it, she growled from the zap and walked away and hasn't been near it since. Why is that? Is it because she was grounded and I am not(wearing shoes)? Obviously if it's enough to keep our largest dog in the pack away it'll be plenty strong for our problematic fox population in the area.

Probably grounding related. Are your shoes rubber-soled?

I have found that if I'm wearing my rubber muck boots and it's not raining, misty, or otherwise soggy in both air and ground I can touch my fence without even knowing if it's on or off -- once or twice even forgotten to turn off the charger before opening it up and only noticing the flashing light when re-tying it after I was done.

:eek:
I'm thinking so honestly. I have an old pair of addidas sneakers that I use as yard/coop shoes. They are rubber like. I was thinking it was grounding reasons. Last week I got more confident after testing the fence with the tester still in hand(and not knowing my finger was almost touching the probes). I touched one arm to both the charge and ground lines and I got one hell of a wallop! To the point the zap traveled through me and my finger to the tester! Boy did that hurt! It temporarily(like 5 days) damaged the nerves in the tip of my finger. All at the same time it literally made me jump off the ground.😵

Probably grounding related. Are your shoes rubber-soled?

I have found that if I'm wearing my rubber muck boots and it's not raining, misty, or otherwise soggy in both air and ground I can touch my fence without even knowing if it's on or off -- once or twice even forgotten to turn off the charger before opening it up and only noticing the flashing light when re-tying it after I was done.

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom