Trying to finalize plans for coop build

Our temperature is rarely above 100, but we will spend several weeks in the summer with a heat index over 110. We cut holes in all the sides for windows, covered the opening with hardware cloth and then attached hinges to the top of the cutout piece so we could raise and lower the wood depending upon the temp and wind speed. The only time the windows were completely shut last year was for a tropical storm when we moved the chickens into a screen house set up in the garage.

Attachments

• IMG_20200929_153909127_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200929_153909127_HDR.jpg
    784.3 KB · Views: 3
RubelliteRose's coop is kind of similar to what I originally had in mind for the coop. How all of the "windows" open or close depending on the weather conditions that way I could try to match our highs and lows as best as possible.

The -2 low this year was HIGHLY unusual for our area and not typical at all. Normally we hover around freezing if anything. If we make it into the low 30's its normally not often or for long, typically just a day or two. Just wanted to put it out there that we do have freak winters once in a while that can go lower than the usual.

What is normal though, is a majority of our summers being at or above 100. It is sounding like I should be more prepared for the heat than the cold and build around the hot weather? So if I do the open air coop with a run attached, do I need the coop area plus the run area or can the space be dual purpose for both the coop and run? Say I am going to do 8 feet wide and 4 feet long for coop space and 8 feet wide and 10 feet long for run space would 8x10 (4 feet dual purpose as coop and run space + 6 feet dedicated run space) cover everything or would it need to be 8x14 (8x4 dedicated open air coop plus 8x10 dedicated run to equal out to 8x14 feet) to have enough room for the two dedicated spaces. Hopefully that makes sense.

It is sounding like I should be more prepared for the heat than the cold and build around the hot weather?
Yes, heat is a true poultry killer.

So if I do the open air coop with a run attached, do I need the coop area plus the run area or can the space be dual purpose for both the coop and run?
Area can be dual purpose.

I already posted photos of open air coops that I think would work well for you... look back on page one.

I skimmed back over the thread... how many chickens?

Our temps are very similar, we get freezes in winter but summers are brutal so flexibility is a major factor. I’ve n ver had issues with my coop despite gulley washers that have blown over other things in my yard and downed trees. The only thing I would change is more ventilation, making the back and side walls shorter to allow for more air flow if the coop is maxed out with birds. Otherwise six to eight in there was fine. More birds means more poop and moisture.
Good luck whatever you decide!

Yes, heat is a true poultry killer.

Area can be dual purpose.

I already posted photos of open air coops that I think would work well for you... look back on page one.

I skimmed back over the thread... how many chickens?

Yes, the pictures were very helpful and I have a few ideas floating around in my head due to the help from this thread. Now I am just trying to iron out the details and come up with a finalized plan and the possible space sharing was an important part of finalizing plans. Just trying to figure out how large I needed the overall dimensions to be to lay out everything inside to keep the chickens happy. Due to where I currently live and the regulations for the area, I would have no more than 5 to 6.

Thank you all for the help

I left TX two years ago (Austin area). Heat indexes triple digit, like 60 days in a row, and then a freak storm that dropped half a bucket's worth of rainfall in just an hour or two, washed out two of our bridges.

If I had to do a coop there, I'd do a 3 sided "shed" design, single-sloped roof, big overhangs with the back wall oriented into the prevailing winter wind, under eave ventilation, and the front side open to a large fenced run, at least partially covered. That gives you your weather protection when you need it, keeps cold drafts of the birds in what passes for winter, and gives them lots of shade and airflow the rest of the time.

Minimally frame it, and forget the decking and shingles. Metal roof. Faster. Cheaper. and will reflect much of the brutal TX sun, rather than absorb and radiate it, as a shingle does. Also, fewer penetrations, less likely to leak in the long term.

With some modifications, I'd be building the right half of the building shown - here - and extending the caged run where the left half of the building is presently. Would target a 4x8 footprint for the walls. Plenty of room for nest boxes, roosting bars, food and water if needed in bad weather, with a human door on the side for your access.

Thanks both of you, you are pretty much confirming many of the ideas I have in my head. I'm trying to get the remainder of the plan worked out in my head and then I will likely draw up a preliminary sketch of what I am thinking to have everyone fact check it to make sure it looks good to move forward with. I picked up some pallets today to start collecting wood to use for part of the coop build.

So a 8 x 14' combined coop and run space sounds good? With 8 x 4' to be covered as an open air coop that leads into an additional 8 x 10' of run space for a total of a 8 x 14' floorplan?

I was planning a metal roof, should I just leave it as a metal roof or does it need any kind of insulation on the inside?

Back
Top Bottom