Trying to find a treat my chicks will like

KarynVA

Crowing
May 29, 2020
SW Virginia
I am trying to introduce a treat or two for my 4-5 week old Golden Comet chicks. I would like to start building a positive association for them with me handling them and I read that providing them a treat before I pick them up, and then again after I have held them, will build trust and positive rapport.

So far, I have tried small bits of watermelon (at room temperature) - no interest. I rolled the bits of melon in their chick food and they pecked the food off and left the watermelon. Then I tried rolled oats lighlty coated with a thick greek yogurt (plain). They were a bit more interested in that but, still, their interest was short-lived.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Mine love any type of fruit, besides citrus.
Oats are usually appreciated too, and yoghurt sends them to chicken heaven.
Mine also like pasta, bread, scratch, even dandelion leaves.

It takes them a while to realize that these things are food. Mine did this too but quickly figured it out. Green peas were a early hit with mine at that age.
Now at 8 weeks, they love popcorn, watermelon, blueberries, . . . I love watching them chase each other around to try and steal the berries. It's like a little soccer game.
I haven't tried this with the littles yet but my older ones love plain ramen noodles. Not too often since realized the noodles themselves are fairly high in sodium but as an occasional treat.

mine like:
grapes, blueberries, blackberries
sweet corn (but I have to peal it most of the time)
lettuce (romaine or iceberg)

watermelon - they take some time to figure out, but than they eat it all including green part to the outer shell

PS: if we consider non-food items:
slugs
snails
worms

What you want to attempt, developing friendly chicks, involves more than just getting them to accept treats. It involves trust as well. Ideally, you should have begun this taming during the first week. But it's not too late. It just may take a bit longer and require more patience.

First of all, treats must be of a small size or chicks won't even try to eat them. Tiny beaks just don't handle big chunks.

Next, you need to start teaching them to trust you. If they are still in a brooder, it's time to release them into a run where you all have more room to maneuver. Then sit yourself down on the ground so you are at their level and they can see all of your body, not just disembodied hands, which can be threatening.

Sit quietly while holding a treat up for them to see. It may be a while before one chick will be overcome with curiosity and jump in your lap to investigate. Let her have the treat. She will take off running with the others chasing behind. This is standard for chicks. It's in their DNA and is hilariously entertaining.

Gradually, the chicks will become more trusting and bold, jumping into your lap for treats. Resist the urge to grab them. Just allow them to explore your lap, arms, hands, and legs. (Wear protective clothing as these toenails are sharp at this age.)

After a while, your chicks will see you and come running. This is a good time to begin signal training to get them to come to you on command. Use a training clicker, $1 at Petsmart, or a word or some other audible cue. In no time, this signal will produce the chicks assembling in seconds. It's a great way to find out where they all are.

Thanks for all the suggestions! To be clear, the treats aren't my first means of building trust with my chicks (I've been working with them on that since day one); it was my understanding I shouldn't feed them treats until 4 or 5 weeks of age and they just reached that milestone. And yes, the watermelon pieces were extremely tiny for their little beaks. In fact, that is what worries me about feeding them blueberries, unless I cut them up, I guess.

I'll keep trying other things. I'm not in a hurry, they are fine with being picked up and petted and they are allowed to go outside in a fenced in area with my direct presence and supervision for short periods on very warm days (mix of shade and sun, of course).

I had a hen swallow a tomato whole. (much to my horror!) But she was fine.
I'd worry about feeding big pieces with chicks under 1, even 2 weeks old, but not at this age. I really wouldn't worry about feeding them whole blueberries.
They're very smart.

Back
Top Bottom