Trying to give the Roo another chance..

I have had two aggressive Roos.

I always wore cowboy boots in the coop around them ( if they attacked I could hold up my well protected foot and leg till he got too tired)

....I carried a stick but I found that was an issue to make them attack later.

I pointed at him when I was in the run and I mentally projected that I was the meanest biggest thing in the run and I was no one to tangle with. This one actually worked really well. Maybe it came off as confidence.

Finally the neighborhood dogs took out the meanest Roo and I decided 4 standard roos were 3 too many so I gave the rest to my neighbor for food and he sent them to freezer camp. (I couldn't do it myself) I kept the nicest one my Copper Marans.

Some roos are more aggressive than others. The day after the rest went to freezer camp I did feel awful because the girls seemed upset and looking for the missing roos. (but my girls were being over bred and even wearing saddles they show wounds on their bodies and haven't grown back all the missing feathers so it really was necessary)

You will have to decide for yourself about your roo. Razz my meanest roo was also the best protector of the flock.
Caroline

Isolation and Habituation to the whole family deny him girls until he treats you all like his "HEN" that is the thing I would recommend... I have done it to 3 nuisance roos and if that doesn't work freezer.. FYI I had 7 of them so the success rate wasn't too good...:-( Then get another roo but raise him with all hands in with the family and then when he gets older introduce him to hens.. Even better I say get 3-4 of your favorite roos (as chicks) and then see who is the least aggressive of the roos and keep that one and that will be the roo most habituated to the family cause then he will not attack..

If you have a huge coop with enough hens you can put more roos in cause it seems like he needs to be chasing another roo around cause other than that he only can hurt the big tall featherless people.. I have multiple roos in with a lot of hens and the ALpha and Beta roos run the roost so I have not been attacked..:) they are all preoccupied with the lower males... But the down side is hens getting ganged on by the lower ones when they are not with the flock... However if the room is accommodating it should work.. Cause it works and I have no problems so far..:)

We have 2 cockerels (accidently) and the top cockerel, Ghost, a huge, gorgeous Delaware, is a pain in the butt. While we are not freezer camp aficionados, I'm ready to stick him in the stew pot! Barring that as my son would kill me and put me in there with him, we have found a kind soul who takes in unwanted Roo's and gives them a forever home.....Bless her heart. He's outta here next week! I think some of my girls will miss him, but our other cockerel, Woodsy, a huge gorgeous Speckled Sussex is a sweety and hopefully he will be able to get lucky in peace now!

In all these years of keeping chickens, I've never had to send a roo to the pot for aggression. Did cull one because he was too big to breed my hens without hurting them. I've had roos that were smart enough to respond to just a minimal amount of training...and I didn't have to snuggle up to a one of 'em!
wink.png

separate him. Or kick him, whenever he comes near. Thats what i did. I used to let my rooster chase me around the yard. Then i though "this is a chicken for pete's sake" and i turned around him and nailed him in the Chest. He was SO surprised. This happen quite a few times, before he got the mesaage.

Back
Top Bottom