Trying to hatch 2 the old fashioned way

Ole and Lena

Songster
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Wright Co Minnesota
One of our barred rocks went broody over the weekend while we were out of town. She was sitting on one Sunday and I added a fresh warm one monday morning.

She is quite dilligent at sitting and rotating the eggs, assume she's getting up to eat/drink some occasionally but I haven't seen her do it.

We don't really need more chickens right now but I figured it would be fun to see what happens. Maybe we'll get two roosters and I can name one Stew and the other Frye Also curious what a barred rock/silver laced Wyandotte cross looks like. I've heard 21days was the incubation period. Is this right? Exact, aprox or guesstimate?

Will keep posted.

21 days is the average incubation period. It can fluctuate though, eggs hatch anywhere from day 19 to day 24. I have one that's on day 29 and just hatched!

If my biology skills are correct, and being in vet school I hope so, then the cross should basically look like the parents. Both are black and white stripedish (Is that a word? It is now) colored, so the children would most likely look like that. Or, if it's incomplete dominance, then the babies will be grey. A mixture of the two colors.

Most chickens will get off the nest for around thirty minutes each day to eat, drink, and relieve themselves. I would mark her eggs so that none of the other chickens mix in their eggs with hers.

Well congrats on the broody/
21 days is the general estimate. Depending on temp and humitity it could take a few days longer or even a day or so less. I think it may depend a bit on breed too, I have read that silkies tend to hatch a bit earlier than Large Foul.
If your temp is on the higher end they will develop a bit faster or a few degrees lower they will develop a bit slower!

Back
Top Bottom