!! TRYING TO HATCH EGGS, NEED INFO !!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EEGHEAD, Jan 21, 2012.

1. EEGHEAD

EEGHEAD Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    I'm tryin to hatch some eggs with one of my old Buff Orpington hens, and its been 5 days, and there are dark spots in the eggs when I shine a light through. And when I shine a light through a regular egg there are no dark spots, so I am guessing it is working so far. But not to sure cuz I ain't never done it before. Any tips, or info would be appreiciated.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like that is about right... Did you see any veins when shining the light through the hatching eggs? That is a good indictor if they are fertilized.

3. EEGHEAD

Jan 21, 2012
    The light i had wasn't that bright and it was day time so I could only tell the dark spot was there. I know they are all fertilized cuz ive cracked a bunch of the ones to eat and everyone
    I have cracked has been fertile. But I just wasn't sure if it was good the way it should or was a waste and I needed to start over.

4. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

5. EEGHEAD

Jan 21, 2012
    After looking at those pics on that link. I'm not sure now. But I need to use something better than a little flash light to really check them before tossing them. Cuz when I look through with the light I just see a dark spot the is round sort of like the yoke. But the reason I thought itwas good was when I look through a regular unincubated egg there are no dark spots. But I guess I prob need to check with a better light.

6. EEGHEAD

Jan 21, 2012
    When you are candling them and moving the egg around, should the dark spot float to the top or move when you spin and move the egg?

7. EEGHEAD

Jan 21, 2012
    She is sitting on six eggs, two of the six will be 25% Black Giant, 25% Barredrock, and 50% Aracona.
    And the other four will be 25% Black Giant, 25% Barredrock, and 50% Sex-Link
    So should be some awesome chicks, I just hope it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by