Trying to identify what kind of illness my chicken is exhibiting

grumpycupcake

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 2, 2016
Taunton, Massachusetts
Hi everyone,

Here again with yet another chicken illness.
My Rhode Island Red, Ginger, who weighs about 6 pounds as a guess feels skinnier and has been acting more lethargic, less appetite, and a full squishy crop that hadn’t gone down overnight. I guessed sour crop as whenever I would massage it she would burp that sour smell. I isolated her on Wednesday, noticing symptoms on Tuesday— her comb has also fallen over, I don’t fully understand the significance but her comb was upright before, which is what I initially noticed on Monday.
Wednesday overnight she was given only Garlic water, she drank on her own. I work at an animal hospital, unfortunately with only 1 doctor with limited experience with exotics, but he knows some, and perscribed me with Tylan and suggested adding apple cider vinegar. I’ve been hesitant to give the Tylan as I don’t know if that will effectively combat the right kind of bacteria buildup. Thursday night after adding apple cider vinegar (1 teaspoon to 2 cups of water) she started refusing the water all together, and has not (from what I’ve observed) drank on her own at all.
On Friday I noticed her crop was only going down a little over the 24 hour period, still full with liquid , so I thought to make her regurgitate most of what was in there- I did it successfully without issue however there was a tiny amount that I decided not to work out— she did have some grass and greens in there, and when I feel it it’s definitely more grass.
I’ve been attempting to feed her now scrambled eggs with yogurt, pellets mixed with the vinegar/garlic water mix, but her appetite is very little, and her poop was normal at first (Watery, but the colors were normal) and now its turning into a yellowish color.

I’m at a loss of what to do, and decided to observe a fecal smear— I’m unsure of what I saw though, if someone could help identify if she has parasites that’d be helpful. I saw lots of long bacilli bacteria, and plenty of round shapes that I couldn’t really identify as any parasite eggs. The pictures are at 40x and 100x magnification.

084E41A0-B2A8-416A-B873-D7B4317A9CA5.jpeg 9C66C067-9C9D-4717-99F7-F4A899F5258C.jpeg A65F9922-3BA4-451E-8346-8F6FB66D0E63.jpeg
C16615F0-988C-407A-B005-F8794F3D27AE.jpeg
Her crop has gone down overnight Friday after giving her some more water and wet pellets (just a few pecks)
Should I give the Tylan? Do i need to grab dewormer too? I read yellow droppings are a sign of Coccidia and is Tylan effective against it?

Thank you for you help, if you need any more information I’ll be happy to provide more. I’m willing to take her to the vet but the vet’s only available on Thursdays, and it makes me nervous about stressing her out more.

Attachments

• 21AFCA16-2CC3-4E45-9FA6-71624164DC2B.jpeg
    21AFCA16-2CC3-4E45-9FA6-71624164DC2B.jpeg
    613 KB · Views: 1
I forgot to mention she is 3 years old. She also has stopped laying for a while (a couple of weeks). I ordered some granite grit with probiotics to help grind down whatever’s left in her crop, as well as a little bra to keep it elevated and to help it go down- that’s coming in today.

That bright yellow material in the dropping is urates. It is common with reproductive disorders, such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, and in cancer or ascites. E.coli infection is common with reproductive problems. The sour crop could be a secondary problem. Enrofloxacin or Baytril is better for reproductive issues. Antibiotics can make sour crop worse, but may be necessary. With sour crop, frequently a fungal infection, Nystatin (Medistatin powder) or fluconazole are antifungal medicines that are commonly used. Some even use monistat/miconazole cream orally. Here is an article about crop disorders:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

They are hard to diagnose, but if treated early, it can extend life. Unfortunately when symptoms show up, it can be too late. Sour or impacted crop can be a secondary issue, and complicates treatment with antibiotics. Most people don’t have vets who are familiar with chicken disorders, so most of us don’t know what is going on unless we do a necropsy after death.

Back
Top Bottom