Trying to integrate 11 wk olds with 4 wk chicks. DAY 2 UPDATE

milola

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
I am hoping to have the process finished by the time the little ones are ready to be without any heat. They are mostly feathered but are still a little fuzzy on the head and butt. Anyway, today I had them all in the run together. The older ones are 2 barred rock?? and a pullet dom and what is supposed to be a dominique cockerel. (The four were all supposed to be doms but the lady must have seen me for the newbie I am because I really didn't even look closely at them till I had them in the car and the combs told a different tale.)

Ahem...back to my question....the older ones stayed on one side of the run and the little ones in another area. Only once did the alleged rooster approach one of the little ones at which time the little one stretched his neck up to be eye to eye with the dom and that was it. Then when all four older ones went back in the coup the younger ones raced over to the area they had been grazing in tho check it out. Does this mean everything will go smoothly or will it be different when they go in the coup all together? I am really hoping to not have to jury rig a divider in the coup. Ideas anyone?? Opinions??

I would just keep a close eye on them for a while. The more time they can all be out in the run together the better. If you don't entirely trust the older ones you could fence off part of the run for the youngsters for a couple weeks. At this age, and as long as they are all out there, seeing each other every day, you shouldn't have much, if any, trouble.

So this morning I once again put the young ones in the run from the brooder box and then let the bigger ones out and all went well. I left and checked on them about a half hour later and one of the little ones had gone missing. I opened the coop door and there she was on the very top perch! It was obvious she didn't know how to get down so I helped her and shooed her out of the coop. Left again and when I came back ALL of the chicks big and little were in the coop. NO PROBLEMS!!!!! YAY!!!. So now I have decided to go ahead and leave them in the coop. So, do I need to put a heat source out there or not? They are fully feathered on the back and wings just a little fuzz on their heads and bottoms. They stand about 8 to 10 inches high I would guess and are about 4 1/2 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom