Trying to introduce two new baby chicks to one that's a bit older with a broken leg

tuescat

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 22, 2014
Hello you guys! I'm in a bit of a pickle. My chick Poco who I took to the vet, turns out has a broken leg and has to hop around on one leg until I can collect enough funds to pay for its surgery. I'm to the point of just sneaking Poco out and paying its vet bills myself and the reason why I have to be so sneaky is because my mom is guilt tripping me into not spending money on Poco's recovery. That's another story in itself.

Because we had to wait a few weeks to find Poco some suitable companions, Poco grew up and nearing 3-4 weeks, these little chicks (bantams) are very tiny and curious little fluff balls. I really like them, they are friendly and not too much trouble like Poco is (who's a bit of a drama queen) but I'm having trouble integrating them.

I placed Poco in their separate makeshift coop and Poco was hesitant and afraid of these little guys. He even ran to me a few times and hid behind me and I wasn't shocked nor surprised to how he handled it. Later on, Poco and the others were playfully pecking each other or just scoping each other out until one of the new chicks curiously pecked Poco's bad leg and Poco freaked out and tried to get away from the new chicks. The bad leg is a major problem and has really convinced me to go ahead with his surgery but at the mean time, is there any other way for Poco and the new sister chicks to be together until the surgery?

I'm honestly at a lost, I don't want Poco to grow up alone.

PS. I have a mirror and stuffed animals for Poco so he wouldn't be alone and he seems to be doing fine but I really want him to be a part of a flock so he can be social and happy.

images

I would not allow this chick in with the others as he WILL get hurt. But what I would do is divide the brooder in half with some hardware cloth, so the chick is on one side, his siblings on the other. Everybody sees everybody and he is not really alone. You can put a stuffed animal in with him and a small mirror so he isn't so lonely. Keep the light/heat source right in the middle of both sides and of course give him his own feed and water. This way he is together with them, but safe. Keep the water and feed very convienent so he doesn't have to travel far to get the goods.

You can try making a splint with some popsicle sticks or other small pieces of wood. Use some good tape to secure them to the leg to keep it straight. Worth a try, but try not to hurt him.

Good luck with your baby and enjoy BYC!

That's a really good idea and thank you both for the welcome :)

I'm looking for a bigger coop to keep them both then, I was afraid I'd have to return the sisters to where I bought them if they were going to harm Poco any further.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 what TwoCrows said about keeping the chicks separated by wire, so they can socialize without Poco getting hurt. You might want to post again on the Emergencies forum about him, take pictures of his leg / describe what the vet told you his problem, is and see what the suggestions/ options are for caring for the leg for now if you can't get the vet to treat it.

Welcome to BYC. Chicks are curious and they peck at things. Better to keep them separated where they can see one another for company.

I think if a broken leg isn't set soon enough it heals improperly. I could be wrong. I would forget about the mother vs you dynamic and do what you feel is right for Poco. How long has he/she had the broken leg? How did her leg get broken.

I don't think Poco is a drama queen. Her leg hurts, she is still a baby, and now others are seemingly attacking her. It's a lot for a lonely chick to adjust to. She needs some TLC and vet attention.

Back
Top Bottom