Trying to move a duckling into a flock

Kartay

Chirping
Dec 7, 2016
So I have hatched out 4 ducklings. Unfortunately, the 1st one that hatched imprinted on me, and due to complications (it hatched a week before the rest, and my male was aggressive), I have had issues reintroducing it to the flock. It spends time every day with my flock, but my male and now the mother drive him off.
Is there anything behaviour wise that I can do with my male? I have tried keeping them seperate but visible to each other. But I'm not to sure what else I can do. The male also chases the other 3 ducklings around quite a bit, so I'd also like to ease relations there.
Ive found info on how to move new ducklings into a flock, but I dont know if that applies as they were born to this flock.
Any advice?

Keeping them in sight of others but safe from them is good way to get them used to each other, but Drake's hormones are raging at this time of year...May have to wait til breeding season is over for a more relaxed introduction. Otherwise, you may have better luck switching out male to separate area and introducing ducklings to females.

Ok, that makes sense about breeding season. He's way more aggressive with the oldest than with the younger 3. I tend to let them free roam my acreage in the warm months. So I'll have to build a run for the male.

Once the lil ones get a bit older this shouldn't be a problem but at this time he may try to mount any other bird young or old and babes aren't big enough to fend this off and can be seriously injured by him. He can be easier re introduced if kept insight of others and will be less stressful for him as he will not like being alone or without his girlfriend

Wait till fully feathered and they do not peep anymore....Breeding season is terrible to introduce Ducks..Even after its a bit of work...Drakes will breed all the young so its best to wait after the young molt at 4 months...

The problem with waiting that long is getting the imprinted duckling out of my house.

Back
Top Bottom