Trying to move Mandarin ducks

nhbradley

Songster
7 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Hello, I tried to separate some of my mandarins and the girls went crazy slapping themselves against the fence constantly so we had to stop. It took one hen 24 hours to calm down I don't know what to do about that. Thank you

Try isolation in boxes first, but within the same pen.

So, you could put them in maybe large cardboard boxes or something closed up but next to each other for a day or two. Then let them stew like that a bit, so they can feel each other is close but just not see each other. You can use food to bait them around to be initially separated also.

Then after they adjust try to move.

This isn't something I've actually done, but I'm just trying to think about how you can trick them into it. A hypothesis.

If anyone has a better idea, feel free to bring it up.

Try isolation in boxes first, but within the same pen.

So, you could put them in maybe large cardboard boxes or something closed up but next to each other for a day or two. Then let them stew like that a bit, so they can feel each other is close but just not see each other. You can use food to bait them around to be initially separated also.

Then after they adjust try to move.

This isn't something I've actually done, but I'm just trying to think about how you can trick them into it. A hypothesis.

If anyone has a better idea, feel free to bring it up.
Hello, and thank you for the reply. It is not possible to catch them to do that without them getting upset then bashing into the fencing. Mandarin duck store come up to people they are very very skittish. The only thing I can come up with this hanging tarps against The Wire or blankets to prevent them from hurting themselves. But thank you

well today we brought a wire crates in. And put it on one end of a walkway that is enclosed and caught five without the other birds going crazy. 3 to go. I'm so glad that got done but I do have to lock them up at night because there's something in living on top of the barn which I believe is a weasel that killed five or six guineas and my old roosters. I don't care if I get eggs I just want to keep them alive. Again thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom