Trying To Move Where They Roost- Angry Girls

KathyDe

Chirping
Nov 21, 2019
Hi guys, hope I'm posting in the right section, if not tell me and I'll move it.
I'm trying to get my five girls to stop roosting on the top beam of the shed. We have five 7 month olds, and am going to be introducing four new six week olds in about a week or so, and where they roost now is not long enough for all nine hens.
So tonight, I tried to get them to go on their lower roost, we blocked the top roost with a board...this was a bad idea, they got furious! They started picking on the lowest hen in the pecking order, and it got so bad I pulled the board down and let them go up.
They've never picked on each other to that extent.
So my question is, what is the best way to get you're flock to move out of their regular roosing space? Do I need to rearrange the coop completely?
This is my first flock, and first time adding new chicks, so I'm not sure how to make a smooth intergration.
Thanks!
20200404_194039.jpg

Birds always prefer to roost at the highest point possible. Part of their instinctive desire to protect themselves against night time predators. Hard to fight instinct.
You're right, it was stupid of me to think they'd move semi- willingly. I'm thinking maybe I should add another brace bar at the same height and let them sort it out.
They're not going to move down happily.
Thanks!

So my question is, what is the best way to get you're flock to move out of their regular roosing space?
Hard to fight instinct.
But you can deny it or 'outsmart' it....pretty easy in this case.
Block that place off.
Just tack some wire mesh to rafters and cross member.

What do your roosts look like?

My brooder raised chicks usually don't start to sleep on the roosts until they are 10 to 12 weeks old. I've had some start as early as 5 weeks, some go longer than 12, but 10 to 12 is a good average. They play on them during the day but not sleep on them until later. Your coop looks different so you can get different results.

I typically have about 16' of roost space. In winter my laying/breeding flock is usually 7 to 9 chickens. They still squabble some going to bed. Nothing serious, but one might knock another off or peck it while getting to their favorite roosting spot. The ones highest in the pecking order sleep were they want to, the others make do with what is left.

I integrate juveniles all the time. My brooder raised juveniles almost never try to sleep on the main roosts with the adults until they mature into adults. With my pullets that's usually when they start to lay, give or take a few weeks. If they try earlier they usually get beat up. I've had broody raised chicks that were sleeping on the roosts under the broody hen's protection leave the roosts, looking for a safer place to sleep when she quit protecting them. Too often, that safer place to sleep was my nests until I put up a juvenile roost, lower than the main roosts, separated a few feet horizontally, and higher than the nests. That pretty much solved that problem.

You plan to integrate new chicks next week. Your concern is that they won't all fit up there. I sincerely doubt that will be an issue for at least a couple of months though sometimes they will surprise you. They might surprise you at how tightly they can pack onto a roost too.

Personally I would not try to stop them from roosting up there at this time. I'd wait until your integration is over and some of the new birds are peacefully roosting up there with them. If you are OK with them roosting up there I wouldn't shut it down then. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with adding another roost up there, probably better now than later.

If they have some acceptable place to roost that is higher than your nests I'd expect the juveniles to use that until they mature. As long as they are not in my nests and are safe from predators I'd be happy wherever they want to sleep. Let them manage when they want to move on up with the big girls and the big girls let them. Letting them work it out is less stressful to me and, I think, to them.

Lots of different ways to manage your birds and coop,
think it thru and choose what works best for you and your scenario.

Let me tell you why I wouldn't not let them roost up there.
Landing area could be in play here, smaller coops have lower roosts for safety's sake.
I don't like them roosting up high, as I can't get at them for exams off the roost at night.
I also use poop boards as part of manure management.
Tho they want to roost as high as possible, they don't need to.

Here some tips on heights to consider:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

Thanks everyone, great advise and suggestions, I really appreciate it!
I have one long roosting bar for them about two feet off the ground, and its above their nesting boxes, they never used it. As soon as they saw that high bar they went up there.
I did worry about them coming down and possibly hurting themselves, but they have a shelf, and a big tub that they jump on to get up and that's how they come down. I could probably build some better ladders and such to make it easier for them, but they seem to have no problem, and I have deep bedding to make their landings extra cushy.
I'm going to take it slow, integrate the chicks slowly, and see where to go from there. I'll try and start the chicks on the lower roost.
I think I was concerned about them all being on the same level, which is why I had primarily wanted to get them down.
Thanks for all of the ideas!

Back
Top Bottom