Trying to pick a dairy goat breed

Here is my Sannen buck from today. You may have seen from my blue kote thread.

He is normally pretty easy to manage and pretty tame once caught. If I have grain its all over he just chows down while I grab his collar. I have only had him just a tad over 2 weeks. He was a good weight but has some skin issues. Well you can see where all the blue kote is. I still think he has gained weight since being here. All my goats run from me so you will have 2 choices goats more afraid of you/niece or tame nice goats. I guess they could be too tame. I would get goats that have there horns removed or remove them once you get them. That will make them safer around the kids.

I like the looks of sannens, lamachas, and toggenburgs.

53126_purplegoat.jpg

Last edited:
I'd DEF go with a nigerian.. (if i get another.. thats what i will get again)
Start with a small goat and see how well you can handle them... thats the safest bet..
And, YES, nigerians are KNOWN for their great milk. High butter fat content and good taste....

Last edited:
And YES..DO get them de-horned as YOUNG babies...
goats jump up and play..and etc.... too many accidents can happen with goat horns... i'll never have a goat with horns...
And if you have kids around them.... yeah.... not wise to have a goat with horns.
Just my opinion, as usual..

Yeah, everything I have read says to have them debudded. I'm a little iffy on the particulars of doing it, but I'm hoping that the tutorial lessons will come through.
smile.png

Red, that was my thought. I figure if I start with two Nigerian dwarfs I can kind of get a handle on it all and then after a year perhaps add a saanen. We shall see.

horns look neat but no fun to deal with. Find out what you have in the area your are willing to travel in.

my are we have lots of nubians. but i live in a small hamlet and nubians are criers. i had a hard time finding a good milking doe that didn't break the bank. I now have an alpine who whispers i don't think the neighbors heard her when she had her babies. she is a breeze to milk, has taught my kids how to lead (not a typo) and is playful with my little pygmy.
pygmys are great pains. mine is a dog with hooves. a bad trained 1 at that. when i visit my goat friends and come home i spend 15 min with him in my lap reasuring i still love him.
each goat has a personality and some fit certain ppl better than others. i had a bottle baby that by 3 months i did not like.

visit as many goat ppl as you can.

Quote:
OOH dear!!... just PAY someone /farmer/vet, the few bucks they will charge to de-budd them.... its usually cheap enough... and WELL WORTH having someone that REALLY knows how to do...
If you dont do it right,..the horns will grow back.... (had THAT happen to me.... then she had to have actual horn removal surgey.......what a nightmare! She screamed and screamed..it HURT her so badly(the healing and bandage changing..)....lesson learned..NEVER again... never!!)
Honestly..just have them de-budded by someone that KNOWS how to do it...

OR... you can try to find "polled" nigerian.. which means they are natually born with NO horns.... Thats what i did with my nigerian... easy peasy...
tongue.png

(just dont breed a polled goat to another polled goat...)

Back
Top Bottom