Trying to prepare for chicks!

texaschick84

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2017
Okay y'all! I've got a little less than a month until my chicks arrive and I'm trying to make sure I've got everything prepared and ready...

What kind of supplement do I need to add to their water? When can I add herbs (oregano, basil, parsley, mint) to their diet? When (or should) I add apple cider vinegar to their water? How many weeks do I feed them medicated chick starter?

Thanks in advance!

Alright, I'll share what I've done.

1. Probiotics and vitamin supplement.

2. I don't see there to be a reason not to add them at any time, as I've mixed my feed from the moment I brought in day-olds.

3. You can add apple cider vinegar at any stage, but if you use the probiotics or vitamin supplements, there isn't a need for it.

4. Anywhere from six to eight weeks from my experience, but I could be wrong in this. My chicks have fared well from that limit, and then a switch to growing feed.

I add probiotics and electrolyte to their water. I don't feed mine medicated I just put a patch of lawn in the brooder for them. This is what works for me. I have never lost a chick yet. (Knock on wood)

What kind of supplement do I need to add to their water? Poultry Nutri Drench is the most important supplement I use for my chicks. I mix up my own electrolytes to get them started the first day.
Homemade Pedialyte Recipe #2
  1. 4 cups water.
  2. 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
  3. 3 tablespoons sugar or honey (remember that babies can't have honey until they're at least 1 year old)
  4. 1/2 teaspoon salt.
  5. optional: 1/2 packet (old fashioned) unsweetened Kool-Aid.

When can I add herbs (oregano, basil, parsley, mint) to their diet? I don't add any of these items to their diet. They get a plug of sod from my untreated lawn. It has: first grit (very important) plenty of beneficial bacteria and fungi to get their guts and immune system off to a good start. They also get their first exposure to the cocci in my soil, and may even pick up some Marek's immunity from the many turkeys that pass through my yard. They get minerals, first greens, tiny insects and seeds, perhaps a few worms, dust bathing, and plenty of play opportunities all from a bit of sod!

When (or should) I add apple cider vinegar to their water? I'd give them some electrolytes first, then follow up with PND. ACV, I don't even bother with b/c they get fermented feed.

How many weeks do I feed them medicated chick starter? I've never used medicated starter and never had an issue with coccidiosis on the regimen I use. I've raised 10 clutches of chicks.

IMO, adequate space is super important: 1 s.f./chick during the first week or two. Then, 2 or more s.f./chick for weeks 2 - 3. After that, I like to give them 4 s.f./bird, and access to a run.

Heat source: Please read Blooie's article about brooding with a heating pad (you can click on it in my signature) It's much safer and more natural than a heat lamp. Starting at the first or second week, if you use a heat lamp, you can turn it off for a few minutes, gradually increasing the "off time" until they are off heat all day. By the time they are feathered at 4 - 5 weeks, they should be off heat altogether. If you use a heating pad, they will wean themselves off the heat without you having to do a thing.

Extra: I like to give my chicks some egg every day when they are starting out.

Last edited:
I never add anything to my Chicks feed or water...;).....I feed medicated feed till they are 8 weeks or a bit longer depending on how wet the weather is as they are growing...;).....I only give clear fresh water...:).....They do not require any supplements ..:)

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom