Trying to raise chickens naturally and safely.

Tina Peevyhouse

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2020
We have been raising chickens for about 10 years now. We 14 Rhode Island reds , 12 are chicks , 2 bantums , and one silky rooster. He's currently residing with the 2 bantums. I found this site because we are looking for a better coop with lots of space for scratching when I can't let them free range. We live on about 79 acres of natural woodlands in west TN. So we have predator issues as well: raccoon, weasel, owl, fox, bobcat, eagle and about once every three years panther. I have recently been given a dog kennel and am currently gathering ideas using it to make a coop. Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

I agree, you will want to cover the chain link with hardware cloth, either 1/2 or even 1/4 inch. I have trouble with snakes, mice and pack rats, all of which can easily shimmy though chain link. I think weasels can also crawl through chain link. Small snakes can even come through 1/2 inch cloth. Definitely stop by our Coop Pages for some helpful ideas... https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/

Good luck and welcome to our community!

Back
Top Bottom