trying to regulate temp

alaska-chick72

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
interior Alaska
Ok, so Ive got a little giant incubator, no fan, that during the day it will hold close to 99.5 in the day time. It will drop to around 98.4 in the early hours of the morning.
I got a fan and set it up to circulate the air and got the temp to right about 100.5. Put 2 jars of warm water (with lids) to help hold temp and still at night the temp would drop to 98.4. Hmmm,,,,,,
So I built a insulated box to set the LG inside to help hold the heat in, got the temp set at 101 for 4 hrs holding steady went to bed at 10:00 pm. I got up this morning at 5:30 to find that the temp dropped to 98.3.
I pulled the fan and am now going to set the temp at 99.5 to see if maybe it will hold there during the night being inside the insulated box without the air flow. The insulated box has 4 vents that i can adjust for fresh air ventilation, 2 on the lower sides and 2 on the top. The humidity has been the same from day 1, between 23% and 26% The temp in the house does go down at night,, we have a woodstove and also a toyostove. The incubator is in the hallway on small table between the living room and bedrooms. Thats the only spot that is not drafty and isnt too hot or too cold that i could find in the house. During the day I try keep the house anywhere between 65 and 70. the Toyo will kick on when it gets down to 60 at night.
I am not going to set any eggs until I get this thing dialed in to where I dont have to mess with it.

Ill get some pictures up of the monstrosity I came up with here in a bit,,, got to go feed the critters. :)

[/IMG][/IMG]

Well. They're not in order. I hope they came through.
I tried to post 3 pics but not sure where the other 2 went.

Last edited:
It is better to place the incubator, somewhere like a closet, or even a cupboard. I have an LG incubator too, an they aren't the best, so don't expect them to be...but they will work fine if they are in the right spot. If you are not using the fan, try setting the temp to 100 or 101. If the temperature varies between 101 and 99, it's safe to put eggs in. If you do use the fan, set it to 99 and if it goes any lower, try putting a blanket over the box to help insulate. Good luck.

Im still experimenting with it in the hallway. My house is a small log cabin and storage space is limited. The closets are full and had to get another cabinet just to hide appliances. Not really a drafty house but with the two heat sources in the living room and the closets at the far end of the house it gets a bit chilly in the closets. But thank you for the advice. If I do a hatch in the spring or summer ill remember that. Its been -30 at my house the last couple of days.

I did have a steady temp of 100 this morning with no fan and it had maintained that temp all afternoon yesterday and through the night. YAY!! I had closed off the vents in the box, ill keep playing with it though till I can keep a good temp with some ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom