Trying to save my drake post predator attack

Thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! I appreciate all of your guidance. I’m counting down the hours until it is 8am so I can rush him in to the avian vet. He perks up during bath time and for the first time today he actually went for a couple of mealworms I’ve been putting in his bath to entice him bc it used to be his favorite thing, eating the mealworms in the water in his pool. I’m attempting to give him at least 20ml of water an hour with a 4ml syringe I have from work. He’s actually taking in about 10ml of baby food ( that I can see actually being swallowed vs dribbling out on hid chest) an hour. He dictates which hour he’ll eat though and I don’t force him if he’s not showing interest.
Today he actually dipped his head into the water all the way past his eyes. Then when I lightly sprayed him with our sprinkle setting in our sink he started flapping his wings!!! I’m starting to feel hopeful that he’ll make it until tomorrow!!!
Oh and here’s what’s happening with his neck. He can turn bilaterally about 90 degrees but the problem seems to be strength keeping it upright and has difficulty vertically. Here’s some pics… I’m feeling more confident it’s soft tissue vs a break bc I’m watching a slow progression in range of motion.
HA!! Yes I went to take a picture to show you guys his neck weakness and removed the blanket support and he must have known he was on camera because he moved his head further that I’ve seen since his attack 😭😭 He’s always been a ham and a show off and this makes my heart so happy 😭😭😭

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    662 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 3
Sorry to hear about your drakes. It sounds like supportive care is the best you can do for Marley until you can see a vet. I think you are doing all that can be done until then. At least he is eating and drinking, that is usually a good sign that he can recover.
:hugs
Thank you!!!! I appreciate you responding and sending us support! I never had any idea how deeply in love I would fall in with my flock.

I am also sorry to hear about your drake and that Marley Moo is injured. I agree with @Crazy Maizie supportive care until you can get him to the vet on Monday. Here is some info on what to do in an emergency.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-supportive-care-updated-01-17-2021.1048620/
Please keep us updated on how he is doing.
Do you have any Meloxicam? at least that would help with pain.
I am not sure I would be putting him in water right now in case of chilling him.
🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 I’m doing and absorbing every tip from you guys. Thank God for you guys responding.

Oh and here’s what’s happening with his neck. He can turn bilaterally about 90 degrees but the problem seems to be strength keeping it upright and has difficulty vertically. Here’s some pics… I’m feeling more confident it’s soft tissue vs a break bc I’m watching a slow progression in range of motion.
HA!! Yes I went to take a picture to show you guys his neck weakness and removed the blanket support and he must have known he was on camera because he moved his head further that I’ve seen since his attack 😭😭 He’s always been a ham and a show off and this makes my heart so happy 😭😭😭
UPDATE!!!!! Marley Moo is doing fantastic!! He has rebounded beautifully!! Started with productive bath times resting his neck and moving his leg. He’s now fully “Marley” nibbling on everything and quacking left and right. He’s back with his flock today, I’m so proud to say, and he’s as happy as can be. I can’t thank you individuals that helped saved my boys life. I’m so grateful to you all for your input and advice. Marley wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for you all.
So yesterday in Cali we had the most water come down in a decade and Mr. Marley Moo loved ever second in front of the fake fire we bought him. Enjoy ❤️❤️
🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 I’m doing and absorbing every tip from you guys. Thank God for you guys responding.
Thank you thank you my bird friend!!! It was because of YOU and all of you my baby survived! I CAN NOT thank you enough! ⭐

Attachments

• 3439E944-B3C0-471C-9FA4-B9F66860E26F.jpeg
    3439E944-B3C0-471C-9FA4-B9F66860E26F.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 35C27C7F-1E62-4911-A379-5C39B86F04AF.png
    35C27C7F-1E62-4911-A379-5C39B86F04AF.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
  • EB36F46A-A8A4-4D90-9C07-9D2FBB96EB80.png
    EB36F46A-A8A4-4D90-9C07-9D2FBB96EB80.png
    5 MB · Views: 1
  • 48E90A15-D889-4435-9084-FCA26379854D.png
    48E90A15-D889-4435-9084-FCA26379854D.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 83055325-BD9F-4422-8CF3-2BBC9D5C6640.png
    83055325-BD9F-4422-8CF3-2BBC9D5C6640.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
  • B711BB75-7FA9-4BC9-BF61-7E24DE1DC24D.png
    B711BB75-7FA9-4BC9-BF61-7E24DE1DC24D.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
UPDATE!!!!! Marley Moo is doing fantastic!! He has rebounded beautifully!! Started with productive bath times resting his neck and moving his leg. He’s now fully “Marley” nibbling on everything and quacking left and right. He’s back with his flock today, I’m so proud to say, and he’s as happy as can be. I can’t thank you individuals that helped saved my boys life. I’m so grateful to you all for your input and advice. Marley wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for you all.
So yesterday in Cali we had the most water come down in a decade and Mr. Marley Moo loved ever second in front of the fake fire we bought him. Enjoy ❤️❤️

Thank you thank you my bird friend!!! It was because of YOU and all of you my baby survived! I CAN NOT thank you enough! ⭐
This brought me to tears! I am SO HAPPY!!!!

Back
Top Bottom