Trying to set up a few backyard hens. Help please!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Abbiem00, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Abbiem00

Abbiem00 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    I've been all over the internet for about 2 weeks now. After all this reading, I could use some help from experts.

I'm looking for 2/3 hens and can't figure which is best. I need some suggestions.

Which ones would you get if you need the following:

Friendly
    Hardy
    Cold hardy
    Winter layer
    Quiet!!
    Alert to prey

I am looking for a few new friends who will also give us fresh eggs for our family.

Thank You in advance :)
    Abbie

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Overall I would suggest Black australorps, they are said to be docile, heavy layers and hardy in heat or cold. I really don't know what breeds are quiet. Some hens are very talkative and loud(of any breed) and if you have roosters you are quaranteed to have noise.

I think the game breeds would be more alert to predators and hopefully they would sound the alarm but, really any bird doesn't stand much of a chance going beak to beak with a hawk . You might want to incorporate some guineas in your flock. They are noisy but, quick to sound the alarm and also are great tick and bug eaters.

Maybe other responders coming on to this, will have more to suggest.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    1 person likes this.
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. Based on your criteria, I agree with drumstick diva; Black Australorps. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds), and they are extremely hardy in both cold and heat; friendly, calm, and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), relatively quiet (as chickens go), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breed (and they are more persistent than most breeds for laying well in cold weather). And while they won't match game chickens for predator alertness, they are as alert as any of the dual purpose breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.
  6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Abbie

Glad you could join the flock! Great advice and links there for you from the above posters so I will just say "Hi"
    Wishing you the very best of luck with your new chicken adventure and hope you enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat. I am sure you will everyone here to help a and very friendly :frow

1 person likes this.
  7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning and welcome to BYC Abbie! [​IMG]

It might be tough to find just one breed that meets all your needs. you might want to try a mixed flock. Even if you only have a few chickens, it's interesting to see the differences in breeds.

I would suggest 3-4 birds just in case something happens to 1 of them, you aren't left with a chicken all by itself. Chickens are flock animals and always better with company. Plus, that will up your chances of getting eggs every day.

Have fun choosing your birds, no matter what breed you end up with, they are all special!

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock".

You've received some good advice already! One breed that I would really recommend is the Wyandote. Wyandottes are very good layers, friendly in my experience (mine are very personable, inquisitive, and docile), very cold hardy, and relatively quiet.

1 person likes this.
  10. Abbiem00

Abbiem00 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    After doing research, I do like the Wyandotes. I can't get an Australorps till march. I'm looking for one more.

I just need to get one more that would get along with the other two with the criteria I mentioned.

I don't think I want a Red. I was thinking more of a Sussex or a Barred Rock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by