Trying to start a business. Need advice.

Sword

Songster
9 Years
Dec 27, 2010
Mundelein
I'm trying to start a pet sitting business that specializes in hobby/small farm animals. I have experience taking care of horses, chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, dogs, cats, snakes, and just about every amphibian and rodent you can find in a pet store, and have lots of "book knowledge" on all other farm animals. If you were trying to find someone to take care of your chickens while you were out of town, where would you look? Internet? Feed store bulletin board? Recommendation from a friend? And what would you look for in the sitter? Experience? Price? Honesty?
I already pet sit for my friends, but I need some advice for expanding my business.

Last edited:
I would go to Care.com It is a website dedicated to sitter of ever kind. I am a member there and it sends you emails when a job is available on your area. You will also have a profile that people can look at.

Have some nice professional looking flyers printed up...also business cards.

Post on the bulletin board at vet clinics... for farm animals, leave flyers at feed stores. Any place that has anything to do with animals...kennels, farriers, pet shops, vet clinics, groomers, feed stores, humane society, riding clubs, local 4H clubs, Craig's List, etc. You can place an ad in your local free "sell" paper (ours is called Thrifty Nickel).

If you are female, be careful with Craig's List...lots of kooks out there!

Personally...I would look for #1 > experience #2> honesty / trustworthy / dependable #3 > price

Have those people that you have worked for before write up recomendations...keep them in a binder & present to prospective clients. As you gain new clients..add more to your binder. Remember...you're a stranger to these people...be prepared to prove that you're responsible & trustworthy.

Being successful in your own business requires lots of planning & hustle!!! Present yourself as someone you'd trust to care for YOUR animals.

Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Hello Sword,
good to hear you wanting to start up your own business! I have my own website design business running at the moment. Its not huge yet and I still have to work full time to afford the bills , but its a start. Im happy to help you out if you want a web page set up to help for your business. My site address is currently being updated but you can have a look at www.robotfinger.co.uk if you wish. And dont worry, im not one of those guys that will ask you for a years wages in return for a site with a picture and your name on it!
lau.gif
. I also do 3D design, using the same software as pixar use, so I can rustle you up a logo or animation to help you look more professional, not saying you dont already, it just helps if people see a nice logo or something to catch their eye. Il be happy to play around with something for you if you let me know what your looking for.Let me know if you need any more help with this. As I have over come all the trials and tribulations that setting up a new business can cause, il be happy to guide you around the pitfalls!
hugs.gif
PM me if you want to, il be happy to help to you as much as I can!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom