Trying to start a chicken coup, neighbor dilemma, help!

Islandgirl82: they can't see it unless they pop their head over the fence. I have a hill then their fence to their yard, I was thinking of either nailing a form of plastic to cover half the fence from the ground up. Or figuring a way to keep the hens away from the fence period. I'm gonna let them free range cuz the coup is small and really made just for sleeping and laying eggs. But for sure I like the plant idea to help with odor
1f44d.png
1f600.png

Tracecom: for sure, I'm thinking some sort of bin, was thinking about using their poop as fertilizer. But not sure yet.

Congrats on your approval. I'm in NOC.

As far as loudness concerns, it can be unpredictable and there are always exceptions, but there are certain breeds that tend to be louder than others. I love, love my barred rock, and would recommend the breed, but not to people concerned about minimizing noise. The BR has a great fun personality, but she's one of the loudest, the most vocal and honkiest of my 4 "big girls" (I have 6 "teenagers" as well). My black Australorp (totally recommend for you) and one of my Easter Eggers are the quietest and most gentle. They chitchat in soft tones and don't usually sing the egg song when they lay. My other EE is loud, honky, likes to sing egg song, and is a bit of a jerk.

Good luck!

Let me take a minute and commend you and your family for the way you have gone about this. You researched the restrictions in your community, decided on one less than the allowed number rather than push the envelope, and followed the HOA's requirements to the letter. You asked questions about how to respond to your neighbor's concerns without calling them "Nazis' or any other names, and you offered them resources to ease their minds, even if they didn't accept what they were told. And you are also a good neighbor, wanting to share your bounty and make sure that if at all possible you chose chickens who wouldn't be too noisy. Now that one is tough - every breed has a loudmouth, it seems! You are also willing to take extra steps to plan things that will minimize the impact on your neighbors. Great job! That sorta makes you a Chicken Ambassador. Your careful planning and consideration will pave the way for others who might want to experience the fun of raising chickens and reaping the benefits of healthier foods for their families.

It's so heartbreaking to read posts from families who got their chickens, either without finding out about restrictions or ignoring them, only to be cited and forced to give up the birds they've become attached to. I'm so happy that that won't happen to you!

UrbanFarmOC: thanks, I love the advice! I've been looking into the Easter Egger, Delaware, Plymouth Rock, and the Australorp. Not only do I need them somewhat quiet, I need to make sure they will handle my 3 year old.
These seem to meet the criteria. I'm excited to see their personalities once I get them.

Blooie: lol it's been hard not to be a bit bitter, but on the bright side, I got my approval without them. Thanks for the positive words. I started my research almost a year ago, and now it's a possibility. I'm going back and reading everything again. I'm going to show my neighbor that being a bit open minded can be beneficial. Thanks again
263a.png

Back
Top Bottom