Trying to tell if a chick is partially blind

Long Island chk

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014

Got 7 baby chicks on Monday (4 days ago) and all are eating and healthy. One is not eating on its own. She won't peck downwards at dry feed, but will eat feed mixed with yogurt or hard boiled egg but when feeding her she sometimes misses.
not much reaction when you try to put your hands in front of her or try to pick her up. Is there any true way to tell?

welcome-byc.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Just give it time maybe there is another problem
wink.png

What do her eyes look like? Are they swollen, cloudy, is there any discharge? If they are bright, moist, and clear looking, she's probably not blind, but it could be a neurological issue or some other illness.. You are being correct in making sure the chick eats. I would go back to where you got the chick from and see if there are others that have been sick, and see if you can get any information that way about what might be wrong. Chickens go through a lot of stress during the move from breeder or hatchery to store, and then to a new home, especially if you get them from a retailer they can be overhandled, trampled, chilled, overheated, squashed, you name it. Stressed in a number of ways. If it were my chick,, at this point, I would not stress it further by separating it from it's friends, but you do need to keep a close eye on it, make sure it eats, and be in touch with where you bought it. .

Back
Top Bottom