Trying to understand Kane (GSD)

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
As most of you know, our older GSD Jax and our younger one, Kane are closely related. They share a sire and their dams are full sisters.

Jax is highly intelligent and eager to please. Kane is intelligent too (I think, but I'm partial), but couldn't care less about performing a command or trick to please.

Jax is high energy all the time. Kane is a couch potato. Jax needs interaction to be happy. Kane is just a happy-go-lucky boy.

So we bought Jax a puzzle toy for Christmas. This:

4810_51nbyw-8ggl__sl500_aa300_.jpg

Jax was very quick to figure it out and how to "beat the system". Kane wanted the treats that it held, but wasn't willing to work for them. Kane liked the ball we got him for Christmas, but only played with it for a few minutes. He likes to carry it around in his mouth, prancing, but isn't interested in the squeaky sounds it makes. He just carries it around.

I know Kane has intelligence, even if his talents are different from Jax's. Kane knows how to open doors, open the fridge, and knows how to work the foot petal on the kitchen trash can; things Jax hasn't accomplished.

I just can't figure out why Kane isn't interested in interacting - Kane's idea of interacting is for someone to give him a belly rub and doesn't have the work drive that Jax does. Could it be the age difference? Jax is 2 yrs. 9 months old; Kane just turned two this month.

Or

Could it be that we've had Kane since he was a little more than 8 weeks old. Jax was a bit older, only coming to us after his first owner decided he didn't want him (and kept him in an outdoor kennel from the start).

it could be that you just haven't found what motivates Kane. Or it could be that Kane is just a lower drive dog. Even full littermates will have different personalities and drives, just like humans. Shoot, even identical twins can be polar opposites!
smile.png

It could be that Kane is part cat and therefore you must worship him?
hide.gif

Rayden loves balls; he will do anything to get one. Once he has the ball, though, then he takes it and lays down. He works to get you to give him the ball.
Singe, on the other hand, is all about the chase. Once he has the ball, he loses interest. He works to get you to THROW the ball.

Sounds like Kane is more of a surfer dude personality

Siblings in the same family are that way too. It is just the way the genes bounce.

I know a lot of families that have the brilliant underachiever, and then a modest intellect that works their duff off to achieve more than they should be capable of.

However, at the ripe old age of... old, I finally got my modest intellect to figure out just how smart the under achievers really are. The less they do, the harder everyone around them spins plates and exerts energy and time, and money and dog treats to get them motivated. Meanwhile the hard worker just gets more jobs to do.

My suggestion is just enjoy your smart dog with smart dog toys, and give the goof ball hugs and love. But no trick, no treat. no matter how badly he pouts.

it sounds like its just different personalities...
like people...

some people live to work...others work to live...and others are quite content sitting on the couch in thier underware watching tv...LOL!

its not unusual in litters to have pups on complete opposite ends of the personality spectrum...
sounds like jax is a live to work kind of dog, active, high drive, that brain has to constantly be active to keep him happy...he probably gets bored easily and every ounce of his being has him "striving to be his best"

kane however sounds like...not nessicarily couch and undies kinda guy...but hes a little more laid back about life...he figures things out as he needs to and is quite happy to not sweat the big stuff...hes quite content to sit back and watch someone else do the hard work unless themotivation is just right (ie the doors and trashcan.)
mabe he just needs a different kind of motivation...

but it very well could be that hes simply just not as "drivey" as Jax is.

I don't think it has to do with ages. In my experience with my three working line GSD's drive tends to be apparent from very early puppy ages (4+ weeks) on and the drive really turns on about 12-20 weeks of age. Both my males I've had did the drive awakening when they were around 5 months old. It was about that time when catching the ball, not just chasing it became a goal, the focus on toys or direct play with me became paramount and not just something fun to do. I have heard similar things from other people with puppies from similar lines.

Maybe you have made Jax work harder for interaction with you? Kane seems much more of an independant thinker, and it shows in that he's able to figure out how to work the household without help from you. His drive seems to be geared more towards the practical and not performance driven as Jax is. They are closely related, yes. However this divergence in a litter isn't unusual at all.

Quote:
You're trying to kill me right??? Two dogs, four cats and a tiny house. Not to mention a DH that makes more messes, faster, than all the dogs and cats combined.

Interesting perspectives y'all, thank you.

Quote:
You're trying to kill me right??? Two dogs, four cats and a tiny house. Not to mention a DH that makes more messes, faster, than all the dogs and cats combined.

Interesting perspectives y'all, thank you.

The solution is obvious! Get the cute lil sable girl and make the husband sleep outside!

Back
Top Bottom