Trying to winterize my coop I made a big MISTAKE! Help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by luvbiddies, Dec 14, 2009.

1. luvbiddies

luvbiddies Out Of The Brooder

Hi everyone, with the cold weather here last week I really worried about my chicken run which is about 10 feet long. So I had my husband buy me a piece of that 1 1/2 pink insulation board and had him put it up around the side of my coop. Well my girls decided to peak in it and had one piece completely down. So I took it down today. Number one, I am worried about my girls eating that, are their eggs contaminated and has anyone made this mistake and they are their chickens survived?????

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Mine have eaten the foam insulation before and are still alive and kicking to this day. Unless they ate a substantial amount I wouldn't worry too much. I would keep an eye on their crop I would imagine it doesn't digest very well if at all and may cause a blockage requiring crop surgery.

3. Roy

Roy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Central Illinois
    I have made the same mistake, for some reason they love to eat it. I was a bit worried but, had no ill effects.

4. Benelli

Benelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Mine pecked at the insulation where the corners didn't quite meet on my pumphouse(problem is solved now). They weren't laying at the time and they don't appear to have suffered any ill effects. They're about 7 months old now and seem really healthy. I read it wasn't good either after the fact. I never dreamed they'd peck the stuff off or it would have been covered before letting them run around.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Once a a whole bunch of styrofoam packing peanuts were blowing all over the yard. The chickens went nuts. I tried to stop them, but they ran around eating them. Yes, they were swallowing whole packing peanuts and running around chasing eachother with them screaming like they were candy. Nobody got sick or died.

6. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Mine ate the foam insulation off the house and they are fine!

7. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    mine ate a little bit of that as well as "great stuff" expanding foam (filler), they were all ok, didnt ingest to much of it (just what was on the bottom 1' of the coop)

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    yup I insulated with the pink insulation boards too and yes they ate it loved it actually-we had to quickly cover it all and all the extra pieces cover up with tarps-terds! they are fine-we just didnt eat their eggs for a few weeks? dont ask me why I just couldnt bare the thought of pink yolks...LOL..

9. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    so as you can tell a great number of us have done the same thing.... me too!

we were demolishing one coop and rebuilding another and the old one had the white foam insulation. you know the stuff the kids like to scratch and it looks like snow... well we had it all over the place and the chickens went NUTS... it was snowing in August... they ran all over the place as the wind was blowing it... they were fine.... the thought never occurred to me to stop eating the eggs... opps [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2009
  10. kipepeo

kipepeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    Mine also ate the expanding foam insulation for holes and cracks I never dreamed they would do that. No ill effects and they were not laying eggs then

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by