tryingto build a run with chicken wire help needed

joeys60

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
hi im trying to build a run for my grils when im not home so there safe. I have a role of 25 meter chciken wire and some round fence poles the problem is when i wrap the wire around the poles the wire just gose slack in places and wont go tight all the way around any one used wire to make a big run thanks joe

Yep, I had the same problem with welded wire fencing. I'm not sure you will be able to fix that except by cutting each section to fit each side instead of trying to continuously wrap it around. I hope that makes sense to you.
ETA: also, If what you are using is in fact chicken wire. your efforts will be for nothing as predators will make light work of getting though chicken wire.

Last edited:
chicken wire is only for keeping chickens in - not predators out. it is also notoriously "stretchy" in my opinion. you could use a lot of poultry staples to secure it to the posts. these are not from a staple gun but are large "U" shaped nails sharp on both ends to hammer in over the wire to secure it. it your wire is sagging at the top, you might have to frame out the space between your posts with 2x4's to have something to secure the wire to. are you sinking the poles into the ground? if so, top the poles with 2x4's so you can attach the chicken wire to it. you can dig a channel into the ground to bury the wire a bit at the bottom to discourage predator digging.
i used 1/2inch hardware cloth for my coop and run. sturdier, more secure and predator proof. yes it was more expensive, but better to put out up front than be posting on the "pests and predators" thread later crying about how beast got my girls!
wink.png

I'm assuming the fence poles are metal? if so maybe there are some kind of attachments made for fencing at the hardware store that could be useful.

we used hardwire cloth stapled to wood posts, the hardwire cloth seems a little more stable, slacks a little but not much

I don't think you'll have a whole lot of luck getting that wire on a metal pole and keeping it tight. All mine was stapled to wooden post and we still had a heck of time getting it tight!! I used zip ties when it overlapped and I had nothing to staple it too!!

Missi

Hardware cloth is easier to work with and offers a lot more predator protection. Chicken wire is like trying to make knit fabric smooth and tight, it's just too stretchy!

Well, if the ground and posts aren't perfectly level that will happen with most any fencing material especially flimsy chicken wire. Ditto to it not being predator proof, but you probably know that by now. I do use it for a small run inside of a larger welded wire run which a predator would have to get through first. You can pull try to up some of the slack with zip ties.

These usually work the best for me: http://www.fencepost.net.cn/fence-post/plasticcoatedfencepost.html

Sturdy
and go with chicken wire better than anything else I know. I can pull the wire tight horizontally and vertically to get the maximum length out of it and get it as close to the ground as possible. I also then hammer the stakes in a little more to get it completely flush with the ground to keep my girls in. To keep predators out, I put the girls to bed in their coop at night and slide the door closed. Chicken wire's a joke for foxes who just jump onto the coop and into the run anyway, the don't even bother with the wire.

its just to keep the girls in im useing wood post sunk into the ground and U shap nails just must be a way to get the wire tight.

Back
Top Bottom