TSC chicks vaccinated or unvaccinated?

Sylvia0223

Songster
Sep 8, 2021
Just wonder if the chicks at TSC are vaccinated? I have 4 of the chicks from TSC all doing very good no issues. They are starting week 7 now, I have been giving them starter/ grower medicated feed till this week, I switched to non medicated, now should I actually keep them on medicated? Or non medicated is fine now ? Someone mention that TSC chicks are unvaccinated? Should I go back to medicated feed ? I was planing to switching to organic grower food soon.

I'm pretty sure they are vaccinated.

Personally, I never use medicated feed and my chicks do fine. I like to grow them organically - we try to use no chemicals on my homestead.
Ok that’s good to know I didn’t use medicated with my other 4 before, but someone mention I should be doing medicated with the babies. Just want to know since I’m still pretty new when it comes to rising chicks.

Ok that’s good to know I didn’t use medicated with my other 4 before, but someone mention I should be doing medicated with the babies. Just want to know since I’m still pretty new when it comes to rising chicks.
No problem.
We were all newbies at one point :)

If you have any more questions, let us know. We'd be glad to help

Just wonder if the chicks at TSC are vaccinated? I have 4 of the chicks from TSC all doing very good no issues. They are starting week 7 now, I have been giving them starter/ grower medicated feed till this week, I switched to non medicated, now should I actually keep them on medicated? Or non medicated is fine now ? Someone mention that TSC chicks are unvaccinated? Should I go back to medicated feed ? I was planing to switching to organic grower food soon.
the vaccination and the medicated feed are for different illnesses. Their vaccination does not prevent them from coccidiosis. They will still need the medicated feed to survive contact with coccid should you choose the medicated route. the vaccination is for Merek's.

I asked the store manager of my mine and they said they were unvaccinated.

You can ask at the TSC, not that anyone there will know for sure. I am pretty sure they are unvaccinated as this costs them more (about 0.5 to 1 dollar per chick).
Getting vaccinated chicks and feeding medicated feeds are personal choices you will need to make. Do your research and read up on the pros and cons.
Personally all my birds have been vaccinated against Mareks and I feed all my chicks medicated feed against coccidiosis until they are about 12 weeks of age.🙂

You can ask at the TSC, not that anyone there will know for sure. I am pretty sure they are unvaccinated as this costs them more (about 0.5 to 1 dollar per chick).
Getting vaccinated chicks and feeding medicated feeds are personal choices you will need to make. Do your research and read up on the pros and cons.
Personally all my birds have been vaccinated against Mareks and I feed all my chicks medicated feed against coccidiosis until they are about 12 weeks of age.🙂

TSC gets most of its chicks from Hoovers, Hoovers does not vaccinate except at request (and for an additional charge). In that respect, they are like most large commercial hatcheries. TSC chooses not to pay that additional charge, and I don't believe they give owners going thru them with the poultry 10-packs the option, either.

Nope, still no option to vaccinate.

and while it would take some time to link the various catalogs, none of the major hatcheries that I am aware of recommend routine vaccination, except in response to very specific conditions at the bird's eventual destination. i.e. If your personal flock has had Marek's, you want to buy birds vaccinated against Marek's. Essentially Forever. (unless you choose - as some do, and there is wisdom in it - to occasionally by some cheap birds to use as the proverbial "canary in the coal mine" as an indicator)

See for instance McMurray's online catalog re: vaccinations, at page 3 or 4 (from memory, the page isn't loading for meright now). /edit McMurrays is now pushing vaccinations - on page 103!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom