TSC Chicks.... Want a few more! Help!

sphillips

Songster
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
New Mexico
Hi all, I currently have 8 Red Production chicks, about 4 weeks old in a brooder in my spare room. Finishing up temporary coop for them in about a week or so to move them outside. Went to TSC yesterday to buy feed, all of their chicks are on sale for .75 each. Saw some of the cutest naked necks! I will have plenty of room in the new coop for them as well, but didn't plan on getting more right now. It's so tempting!
My chicks now are off heat, but I'm expecting they may need it once I move them outside. I have an ecoglow brooder for them, but will need something for the new chicks. That's my only hang up.
How old would my new chicks need to be to integrate them into the flock, and since they are all still young would it be a big issue? I know I can't put them together right now. What to do????

Hi all, I currently have 8 Red Production chicks, about 4 weeks old in a brooder in my spare room. Finishing up temporary coop for them in about a week or so to move them outside. Went to TSC yesterday to buy feed, all of their chicks are on sale for .75 each. Saw some of the cutest naked necks! I will have plenty of room in the new coop for them as well, but didn't plan on getting more right now. It's so tempting!
My chicks now are off heat, but I'm expecting they may need it once I move them outside. I have an ecoglow brooder for them, but will need something for the new chicks. That's my only hang up.
How old would my new chicks need to be to integrate them into the flock, and since they are all still young would it be a big issue? I know I can't put them together right now. What to do????

How old were the TSC chicks? Just trying to get an idea of the age difference you'd be looking at.

For heat, I'd say check out the Mamma's Heating pad post? I haven't made one, but the gist that I get from hearing about it is like $20 in cost, and 2 hours to make and it's easy to do. That would be my plan if it were me.

When I bought my little chicks from my store out here, they had 1 week olds mixed in with probably 3+ week old chicks. Don't know if thats ideal or not - but, all of my 1 week old chicks were in great health, no injuries, etc. I'm sure stores have to make choices on space/birds, so for temp housing, it probably works.

I've not had to integrate chicks before, but I've seen a number of posts on how to do it, and given their relatively close age, I don't think it would be a lot of effort.

I'm not personally responsible if I've helped you decide to get more chicks. ;)

Well, up until yesterday I was able to keep myself from getting more babies. Tractor now has Polish Bantams which are my fave. I didn't buy any yesterday, but am getting my brooder set up to go get some today. Just don't want problems with the already existing chicks. Folly's Place says that Production Reds tend to be aggressive, I don't see that with mine, but I'm not a chicken. Lol. The current chicks are 5 weeks old, the new ones will go in their own brooder, once the older ones are moved out to the coop, I will have space to move the new babies into the bigger brooder. That's the plan.
So, is it an okay idea to put bantams with these Reds? There will be more than enough space in the new coop, but don't want anyone to be destined for a life of misery. If not bantams, what breed would be okay with my existing chicks?

How old were the TSC chicks? Just trying to get an idea of the age difference you'd be looking at.

For heat, I'd say check out the Mamma's Heating pad post? I haven't made one, but the gist that I get from hearing about it is like $20 in cost, and 2 hours to make and it's easy to do. That would be my plan if it were me.

When I bought my little chicks from my store out here, they had 1 week olds mixed in with probably 3+ week old chicks. Don't know if thats ideal or not - but, all of my 1 week old chicks were in great health, no injuries, etc. I'm sure stores have to make choices on space/birds, so for temp housing, it probably works.

I've not had to integrate chicks before, but I've seen a number of posts on how to do it, and given their relatively close age, I don't think it would be a lot of effort.

I'm not personally responsible if I've helped you decide to get more chicks. ;)
Current chicks are about 5 weeks old.

I'd make another brooder out of a few cardboard boxes and a heating mat for the bantams... And then post pics for us... The heating pad itself only costs like $12 on amazon, and it sounds like you'll already have hardware cloth. You could put them together, but let them see each other without touching each other for a few days first.

So, went in to gets chicks early. No polish left! Must not be in the cards for me! But, got 6 bantams, have no idea what kind but they sure are cute! Thinking Easter eggers on the brown ones. Doesn't matter, I'm happy! Don't know age or breed. Can they eat the regular chick starter? They are so teeny! Never had bantams before.
20180323_113145.jpg
20180323_113145.jpg
20180323_113136.jpg
20180323_113145.jpg
20180323_113159.jpg

Back
Top Bottom