TSC coop and a couple of questions

Ok, so we got this coop and it says suitable for 6 chickens, but I think not and plan on building a much larger one. In my mind this will be temporary until that goes up. I think we'll use this just to get them initially outside.

I'm thinking about sitting this on a wooden floor supported by a frame of 4x4's, then constructing an enclosed run with welded wire, covered of course. I might even consider containing this within the run. Thoughts on that?

This coop says it is predator resistant and I want make it even much more so by encircling with an electric fence as we have an abundance of racoons around here. The fence will stand off about a foot from the coop. Here's the dumb question about the electric fence...I'm assuming I connect the ends of the hot wire together back at the beginning pole to make a complete unbroken loop of wire correct? I probably already know the answer to that but just to toss it out there to be sure. If I'm being dumb, by all means please tell me. :D

View attachment 2593824
:welcome :frow You only need one ground rod. Put it under a drip edge so when it rains it will drip on the rod for a better ground. @Howard E has some good threads. I have electric fencing around my coops and pens and nothing has penetrated. I have used insulators but when I added a coop, I put in step in posts to hold up the wires. I use the poly rope wire. Make sure your fence charger is strong enough and put out at least 7000 volts which would be about a1 joule charger. Good luck and have fun...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/electric-fence-basics.1398976/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-treatise-on-electric-fencing.1117877
http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/tips-for-protecting-poultry-from-predators.
20210115_095548.jpg

As far as your new coop goes it appears it could use some vents. I would put them up towards the roof line as I illustrated in your image. You ould also put one under the other sides of the roof line. There doesn't appear to be any venting. I'm not a great artist but in the colored area on both sides of the coop especially for the hotter months.
CoopRev.jpg

As far as your new coop goes it appears it could use some vents. I would put them up towards the roof line as I illustrated in your image. You ould also put one under the other sides of the roof line. There doesn't appear to be any venting. I'm not a great artist but in the colored area on both sides of the coop especially for the hotter months.
View attachment 2596063

I was just going to mention there is zero ventilation in this coop (from what I can tell-I had looked at in the store recently and realized this huge flaw)

That's a great idea about venting and I never considered that. Thanks @cmom!

I'm going to use a 2 inch hole saw to make vent holes and staple gun some 1/4 inch hardware cloth over them on the inside.

I believe that when they rate coops for the number of chickens they will contain, I believe that they are only counting the space on the roosting bars when the chickens are in for the night. At least, that's the only way mine would hold the number of chickens it's rated for.

I believe that when they rate coops for the number of chickens they will contain, I believe that they are only counting the space on the roosting bars when the chickens are in for the night. At least, that's the only way mine would hold the number of chickens it's rated for.
I eventually decided they rate them for bantams. (Half as much space as for bigger chickens.)

So if you divide the number in half, you get how many normal-sized chickens it can hold.

But because bantams are still chickens, their claim "holds up to ___ chickens" is not entirely wrong, just quite misleading.

Back
Top Bottom