TSC coop and a couple of questions

For ventilation I'd actually consider removing the entire inside wall that faces into the run portion. The roof there will help provide some coverage against weather. And maybe louvered vents in the gables.

Or convert the entire thing into the coop.

So to turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise across the newly open space. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Ok, so we got this coop and it says suitable for 6 chickens, but I think not and plan on building a much larger one. In my mind this will be temporary until that goes up. I think we'll use this just to get them initially outside.

I'm thinking about sitting this on a wooden floor supported by a frame of 4x4's, then constructing an enclosed run with welded wire, covered of course. I might even consider containing this within the run. Thoughts on that?

This coop says it is predator resistant and I want make it even much more so by encircling with an electric fence as we have an abundance of racoons around here. The fence will stand off about a foot from the coop. Here's the dumb question about the electric fence...I'm assuming I connect the ends of the hot wire together back at the beginning pole to make a complete unbroken loop of wire correct? I probably already know the answer to that but just to toss it out there to be sure. If I'm being dumb, by all means please tell me. :D

View attachment 2593824
Have you had any problems with predators opening the sliding door. I am trying to figure a way to latch it from the inside

Have you had any problems with predators opening the sliding door. I am trying to figure a way to latch it from the inside
I have not yet, but we also have a shoot on sight mentally for animals that could do so easily (like trash bandits). Main issue I've noticed is that the lock and door are not winter friendly. They tend to freeze shut easily

Back
Top Bottom